Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Just bought the green Eliminator from Oregon.
cougar.JPG

Engine was in trunk and mostly apart. Already started on the engine and had a few questions. I've read a lot about the Cleveland engine that came with it and understand the basic design of it. I've decided that i will probably go with a 408 stroker kit and am looking for a good camshaft for it. I am not looking for a quarter mile machine at all. I am really interested in the roller cams but it looks like the competition cams cam I was looking at here http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=32-411-8&Category_Code=F351HRC

requires new springs and the heads need to be machined for that. I guess my question is, is there a roller cam that can use the stock springs? The heads don't have many miles on them now and I really didn't want to machine them. If that is the case I will stick with a flat tappet cam most likely. The cam one step above it looked good but said it had a lopey idle. I don't want that as cool as it sounds! Would like to just build a torquey modest engine. Was thinking of roller rockers to for even more efficiency, is there anything that just bolts up to the standard 4v heads? I've built a lot of engines but no american stuff. I'm excited to dive into it.

Thanks guys,

Brian

·
Registered
329 Posts
Use the roller cam and do make sure you use the recommended springs. Also get hardened seats, the valves replaced, screw in studs and guides for the roller rockers and valve guides reworked while your doing the other work on the heads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts