Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals I am in the process of clearcoat sanding with 1500 and 2000 grit prior to buffing and polishing. My question is do I sand over my body lines or just up to them?
Then go ahead and buff and polish over the body lines or carefully sand everything?
Don`t want to burn through the clear. See pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I would only sand up to the lines. It would just be really easy to break through the paint over the lines themselves. When you are polishing, it might even help to put a little tape over the body lines themselves.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I would only sand up to the lines. It would just be really easy to break through the paint over the lines themselves. When you are polishing, it might even help to put a little tape over the body lines themselves.
Yeah... what he said^

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'd stop right where you are. If you have a speck of trash somewhere above that line, you could just hit that, but I'd stay away from having to buff on that line.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Also remember to have the buffing wheel turning out of your body line or edges and not 'into' them. Hope that makes sense to you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to sand over the right rear quarter wheel well lip cuz I had a run there. You can see it in the second pic I posted. Can I machine buff over that or should I just hand buff that area? I got a good three coats of clear on it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you mean on the inside of the lip. Go by hand. The wheel opening moulding will cover most of that anyhow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts