Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've changed the front seals of my power steering cylinder and am getting close to painting it. I want to keep original so decided to just clear coat it.
according to eastwood, i have to use hi temp paint...
any suggestions for a good clear coat that i can spray on(rattle can preferred)? that will withstand the heat also.
eastwood suggested brushing on the diamond clear extreme, but would like any advice from others that have had success.
thanks all

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I recommend using natural (cast iron) spray paint.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I painted mine in eastwood's detail grey and it turned out looking great.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Most steering cylinders I have seen are painted satin black.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Glad this questions was asked as I am doing the same on my eliminator. You can look on the forums below and get a good idea for some of this stuff. A lot of guys were painting them satin clear but some are doing the cast iron type color paint. I am also doing the steering section too inside the engine compartment and I'm probably going to spray that paint. Except where the paint marks are. I'd like to leave it original but they got surface rust on them fairly quickly in the elements.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum

Brian

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just curious...why would you need to use high temp paint? Is it because it's close to exhaust or headers?.... Or are we talking like 500 degree high temp?.
The rep from eastwood said that the cylinder under normal use could get too hot for any of the standard 200 degree paints- seems pretty hot to me- agree or disagree? i definitely don't want to paint, then find it all peeling away from heat soon after

·
Registered
245 Posts
Check into KBS Coatings. They have a clear coat product that goes directly over all metals and rust. It's high gloss, but I have toned it down with light abrasives. It's extremely resistant to chemicals, including gas and solvents. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The rep from eastwood said that the cylinder under normal use could get too hot for any of the standard 200 degree paints- seems pretty hot to me- agree or disagree? i definitely don't want to paint, then find it all peeling away from heat soon after
Natural (cast iron) paint holds up perfectly on the ram, it does not get very hot in spite of what the Eastwood rep may have said.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, thanks for all the input, so i guess the cast or similar 200 degree paint is ok
what cast brand did you use , i tried duplicolor once and seem to remember it being greenish

1 - 13 of 13 Posts