Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of accessories that all require a direct connection to constant 12v close to the battery - audio amp, 3g alternator charge wire, electric cooling fans, MSD 6AL. Right now they're all wired up to the constant 12v side of the starter solenoid.

It's a rats nest of fuses and wiring.

My question is how can I go about this in a clean and visually appealing way? I was planning on removing my external voltage regulator now that I have the internally regulated 3g alternator - which will clean up some of the problem.

Do people normally run a couple terminal blocks - one for constant and one for switched in the engine bay? I just want to eliminate the mess of wiring on my starter solenoid.

I need ideas / suggestions...

I have a 73 Cougar.

Thanks!
Jacob

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd run a weather resistant terminal block under the fender - there's scads of room under there.....

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I picked up a couple of terminal posts at the local pick-yer-part yard and use them for power sources.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I run one terminal block in the engine compartment and one under the dash. The one in the engine compartment is down low and not as noticeable as a gang of wires on the solenoid. But it is still easy to get to if necessary.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just a thought. Why not run a maybe 6 gauge wire from battery to a terminal block you could mount say under the battery tray. Then you could run all your constant 12V from there?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I didn't think about adding a terminal block under the battery tray. I think I will go that route. It'll clean things up nicely.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I might be a little worried about corrosive elements under there though? Battery trays don't hold up for to long due to it...just a thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good point.

I might start with deleting the external voltage regulator and install a terminal block similar to the following to offload some of the wiring on the starter solenoid.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JB-57

Does anyone have any pictures of their tidy wiring near the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
mustang verts of the same years used asingle stud on the shock tower---the holes are there already----a maxi fuse block also helps---try terminal supply on the net
doctordesoto

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts