Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well with my power steering leakage and the other random fluids i've been keeping in my trunk, i've noticed that there's puddles of liquid's in the back :( :( :( which looks horrible, is horrible, and means i can't put anything back there without getting it all messed up. :cry: :cry: :cry: so i was wondering if there's a easy way of getting the (mostly power steering fluid) out of the back. and then i was wondering what the best way of redoing the trunk would be. like should i carpet it or should i get like plastic, or just redo the metal and leave it. i dunno anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
January cleaning...

If you want to clean the trunk...to get the power steering fluid out, you're going to have to get the liquid out first. You can use old rags or an old towl to pick that up. For an easier way (Never tried this, but conceptually, it may work), just use an old wet/dry vac that you dont care about anymore. To get the residue off, ive always used mineral spirits or paint thinner on a rag to break up the grease, then I mop that up w. a second rag before the stuff can dry. it may take a lil bit of work, but it is possible to get all traces of the fluids out of there. Personally, i like a carpeted trunk, you can get some nice-looking decent quality carpet for not too much, just lay it down, cut out what you need, then glue it down using an adhesive, 3M makes a good one.

-- Caleb --

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
thats a great idea using carpet. Use a nice grey piece. before you lay the carpet down, prep and clean the floor pan and use some POR-15 ( http://porshop.com/index.html ) on it to seal it from rusting any further. Check out there web site for there products, they will have something that you can use. :)

Rick

·
Registered
633 Posts
I havent got to my trunk yet but I asked one of the guys on the forum one time about theirs and this is what they emailed back.

Email is from Robert:

"Basically I stripped the rust down with a wire wheel on a drill, then prepped the metal with "Jasco Prep and Primer" for metal. (from Home Depot). Wiped it down and let it dry. Then wiped the trunk down with water and dried it to remove any residue. when that was all dry, I sprayed it with a rubberized undercoating spray which I think actually came from pep-boys or someplace similar."

I like the rubber undercoating idea....Probably wont be doing it to my cougar, but if I ever do a restomod I will.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The correct type of covering for the inside of your trunk is vinyl. Carpet is ok, but if you ever get future stains on it, you are going to have a hard time making it look right. Most Mustang suppliers, like Mustangs Unlimited or National Parts Depot or Cougar suppliers like John's and Ken's have the mats and they run as cheap as $20 and look great. If you have a future spill, it is easy to clean. That's my opinion, anyway.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts