Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I touched up the black on my grille and unfortunately my freehand painting skills stink, so I have some paint marks on the chrome that need I need to clean off while the grille is still mounted on the car. I'd also like to clean the chrome if I can since it's kind of cloudy. I've used 0000 steel wool pads and they worked great, but I can't get it in between the slats to clean them good enough let alone get the paint off since the slats are so close together. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the sides of the chrome on the grille without taking paint off the black parts in between? I tried a dremel but couldn't get in too far without taking some black off. Thanks for the tips!

Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one thing I thought of. Using that on a q-tip to have more control. Thanks for the tip!

Ben

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
One trick to keep clean edge on the chrome is to use pinstripe tape when you paint them.....I feel your pain on sucking at freehand! (Be sure to pull the tape before it sets/dries though)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've used a product called "MasterMask". It is a liquid masking film I purchased from Hobbytown USA for $5. It has the properties of a jell. You apply it to the area you want masked, let it dry, paint then peel the film back off. It is time consuming but it really does a nice job. I used it to paint the background behind the walking cat on my gas filler cover and to repaint the walking cat on my steering wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts