Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, any drag racers out there, what is your method for cleaning the stuck-on burnt rubber particles off of your quarter panels and trim while not doing damage? Will wax and grease remover for bodyshop prep work ruin clearcoat? Currently I use a hose and my thumbnail, but this is obviously a longer process, and dirtier for my thumb.....I'm in the process of adding mud flaps to my car for reducing this problem with my drag car.

someone once told me that pam or cooking spray would minimize the rubber sticking- i tried it once but i think once the pam dried it made an even bigger mess.

· Contributing Member
6,027 Posts
someone once told me that pam or cooking spray would minimize the rubber sticking- i tried it once but i think once the pam dried it made an even bigger mess.
Try using vasoline instead.

· Premium Member
13,587 Posts
Have also seen people use duct tape, that is my recollection from my last outing to the drag strip, but I know duct tape sometimes leaves adhesive behind and is also rather aggressive in it's adhesion. I like Twyluh's suggestion, but where to get it would be my next question.

Used the trusty 'ole internet and found:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294922165+4294865036+115&autoview=sku

But it says "not available", hmmm. Wonder if that is true everywhere or just Summit...

Edit:

Okay, try this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Geddex/432/321/10002/-1

Cheap!

· Registered
115 Posts
Since we are on the theme of tape. You could try 3m brand (I think it's also scotch brand) masking tape. I used it many years ago when learning how to paint cars. The person teaching me swore by it because it was relatively flexible for corners and stretching without tearing and it came off cleanly. Generic brands tend to be brittle and leave adhesive behind.

Be careful with anything adhesive tho. It could remove paint if the paint wasn't applied well or is old. Paint on trim likes to come of easily too.

Something I used to do when I went 4x4'ing a lot in my bronco was to wax it before hand. Mud came off a lot easier when I did. This might help for rubber as well, although because the mud wasn't hot like burning rubber, it may not help at all.

· Registered
309 Posts
rubber

Detailing for almost 10 years, found 3M Adhesive and Tar, Bug remover works extremely well on getting rubber off the 1/4 panels. You spray it on and immediately see it start to dissolve the rubber. It's safe for the paint too.

· Registered
2,886 Posts
4 hours and and 2 bottles of Goo-Gone LOL

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help, good stuff. I'm gonna try these suggestions out. I am also going to attempt to make homemade mud flaps/wheel tubs/fender flares to minimize future mess. My car uses slicks that protrude a good 3 inches beyond the wheel well at the top (minimum) so I am finding rubber splats on things like my side view mirrors, doors, c-pillars, etc. The car's wheel wells and frame are uncut, and that's been my mission to keep it that way. With the size slicks needed to hook well (which it does), I have overhang. I'm OK with the "high school harry" look but would like to contain the rubber mess as best I can. we'll see....

Kevin

· Premium Member
13,587 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the help, good stuff. I'm gonna try these suggestions out. I am also going to attempt to make homemade mud flaps/wheel tubs/fender flares to minimize future mess. My car uses slicks that protrude a good 3 inches beyond the wheel well at the top (minimum) so I am finding rubber splats on things like my side view mirrors, doors, c-pillars, etc. The car's wheel wells and frame are uncut, and that's been my mission to keep it that way. With the size slicks needed to hook well (which it does), I have overhang. I'm OK with the "high school harry" look but would like to contain the rubber mess as best I can. we'll see....

Kevin
If that is the case, why not get some reasonably stiff (but bendable) rubber sheeting (or plastic, polyethylene would work well) and install it like wheel well opening moldings would be installed (use the same holes if you have or had WW moldings) with as much as you need extending outward from the wheel wells? Follow the contour of the wheel well for flare width and voila! You now have the worlds most Fugly (but functional) wheel well flares!

· Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Can't remember what it's called but you should use the paper that peels off of the front of vinyl decals such as the ones used on race car logos etc. It won't lift the paint and is exactly what you're looking for. It's the same stuff I have to peel off when reapplying sponsor lettering to the late model stock car my buddy keeps tearing up every other week. I swear I saw the same type of paper listed in either a Jegs or Summit catalog but can't remember the exact name. The stuff they sell is used for masking large portions of a car when painting.

Below is a link to a similar product that would likely work the same.

http://artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=11675

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys, think i might try the spray on stuff 1st since that's the easiest. Geddex also makes the easy-off shoe polish for dial-ins and racer numbers, that stuff is great (don't let the tech inspectors slop on regular shoe polish on your car, have that Geddex at the ready!)

ECI, you and I are on the same wavelength, you described exactly what I am planning.

Searching McMaster Carr and MSC, I've found that it's tough to find black high density polyethylene material in the size I need/want. I'd need around 65" length of matl., about 12" wide, 1/8th" thick. The standard sheets don't come that long, and larger sheets get expensive (for homemade fugly mudflap flares, at least)

I ordered in a smooth rubber floor mat from mcmaster, it was black, and the right thickness, but too flimsy. Need the mudflag matl., which one mudflap vendor says uses 1/8" thk. high density polyethylene. I know there's a solution out there, still searching. Home Depot didn't have anything for this application.

Kevin

· Registered
748 Posts
I ordered in a smooth rubber floor mat from mcmaster, it was black, and the right thickness, but too flimsy. Need the mudflag matl., which one mudflap vendor says uses 1/8" thk. high density polyethylene. I know there's a solution out there, still searching. Home Depot didn't have anything for this application.

Kevin

Try to find a plastics supplier in your area. There is one near me, Modern Plastics and the 1/8" HDPE 4X8 sheet is $37.

http://www.modernplastics.com/hdpe-sheet-p-1012.html?osCsid=cc8a00d9d70aae59f0f72f317bcc471b

· Registered
767 Posts
Was at the track a while back and a guy had made lower 1/4 panel protectors from the material that those stick on "magnetic" signs are made of. You know the signs you see on all kinds of cars and truck advertising what ever on the doors.

He cut it to fit and just wiped off the painted surface and stuck the magnetic protectors on. Looked like a slick idea to me. I'm going to try that one.

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
update: flares coming together

Here's an update, I found that plastic supplier on the net and I noticed they had general purpose ABS plastic sheets in black. Based on the description I decided to order some in. If .093 thk. or less they can roll it for shipping (48"x96" sheet was only size that filled the length requirement). sales guy helped me with suggesting cutting it down to my 12" width requirement (which saved immensly on shipping) so they sold me the sheet cut down in 12" x 70" strips (approx. what I needed with some extra in case).

This was exactly what i was looking for! It's light, hard yet flexible enough to follow the fender contour (@.093"thk.) and it comes with one side smooth, the other textured (I'm putting the shiny side out for looks). I was able use the chrome trim screws as anchors, and I even was able to put the screws in backwards and use them as locating "center punches" to mark where holes needed to be drilled. Here are some pics. I'm gonna slot the holes so I can adjust how wide I want the flares to stick out. Plus I gonna trim them down and radius the ends for a better look. Function and a decent look are my goal. Some residual rubber in a small amount near the bumper may be unavoidable, but I'm sick of the rubber and dirt all over my car! I'll take some shots when they're completed on the car.

· Registered
640 Posts
OH for heavens sake

HELLOOOOO MCFLY! .....now hear THIS! now hear this! COOL.....rubber on the quarter panel of a vintage cat UN-COOL........goofy flares or mudflaps to prevent rubber build up on qtr.............C'MON guy's there are proper offset wheels to move almost all that rubber inside the wheel well...whats going on that you can't make those meats hook-up? You pumping 600HP to the wheels or something? Also the car is black! Who is noticing the rubber on the lower qtr of a black car.................."The Chief Inspector?".....If someone notices the "souveniers" just tell them it's youre private collection...........My friend you need to take a step back and punt......or you have 1.30 60 ft times and I need to STFU
Mercinary.....................................out

1 - 20 of 26 Posts