Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I created the Classic-Cougars Web Ring and have been maintaining it for the past five years. I no longer have the time to maintain the Ring. The newest incarnation, which was recently sold by Yahoo to a private company, has become very difficult to manage. Though the interface is better than the previous Yahoo interface, it still requires a lot of time and effort to keep the ring sites up to date. In fact, most of the sites on the ring are currently out of date code wise, since they are still using code from before Yahoo took over. The current Webring.org is not supporting this old code.

Because of this, I have come to the conclusion that I have to let the ring go. If anyone would like to step forward and take ownership of the WebRing, I would be happy to turn it over to you. If no one volunteers to take it over before the end of the month, then I will be forced to destroy the ring altogether.

Thanks to all who put forth the effort to help promote the growth of the webring. It has been an exciting experience and I hope that someone else will be able to carry on the torch.

Jim Karamanis
Admin, Classic-Cougars Web Ring

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hmmm... I actually HAVE some easy to manage webring software lying around here somewhere... Probably alot better than that yahoo "stuff"... Let me dig in my virtual sandbox here...

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you can explain to me what has to be done, so I don't step in blind, I will take it over. I would love to! I am pretty good with HTML, and web editing in general, don't know if that helps....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking over would require helping all the ring members to transfer their ring code over to the "new" style of code, which is given to each member when they visit the website. I believe the admin can also generate the code. The difficult part is sorting through all the sites and making sure all the sites are compliant. It really is a major task, but if you are willing to take it on, I'd be glad to set you up with it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hey Jim,

I would be more than happy to take the ring off your hands, just as long as you can get me set up. I'm up for the major task.

·
Registered
794 Posts
thats the spirit Chris! I thought about doing it myself, but would not be able to handle it right now with the family/work situation. (wife due w/ boy #2 reeeal soon)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
way to go chris i would of done it if you didnt volunteers abound here.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Good for you Chris, I am sure there are going to be many cougar fans grateful for what you are doing.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Now .... who is going to take over TCCN??? We gotta keep that going!!!!!

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts