Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My 74 351W has a clanging going on for about 5 secs when you first start it up. I thought maybe the fan was hitting the shroud so I adjusted the shroud and it's still there. On closer listening, it sounds like it is coming from the pass side of the car. Cold it be the oil pump? The fuel pump? The guy I bought the car from said he put a new fuel pump in the car, so does that mean it could've been misaligned? Still waiting on my haynes manual to get here so my next question has to be, which side of the engine is the fuel pump on? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Guy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the fuel pump, and no knocking or pinging on start up or whilst running. The shroud is an aftermarket one, it looks like, and the bottom blade is about 5mm from the shroud, the rest of the blades are more than an inch away. There is also a little wear on the bottom of the shroud under the fan blade.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It's probably leaky lifters.
How's the oil pressure?

The repro motor mounts are a little shorter than the factory ones, from the importers reducing 3-4 different insulators down to one. I had a problem with the fan hitting the shroud when backing up. I used flat washers between the block and the motor mounts.

·
Registered
980 Posts
FWIW- I too bought an after market fan shroud for my 351 4v, the first time that I started it after installing... it bang and clanged on the fan, took it off and put it back on several times, it wasn't hitting much...but just enough to make noise. I used my hand held 1/2 inch belt sander and ground some plastic away to make a clearance cut in the offending area. I used white spray paint to dust the shroud around the fan blade opening to get an idea of where to grind and removed the plastic. Once I had it "dialed in" I used lacquer thinner to remove the left over white spray paint from the shroud. Hope that yours is as simple to fix.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil pressure is fine, haven't noticed any issues at all, will watch to double check next time I start it.

I may do the same and grind it down the shroud a bit to make it fit.

Thanks, give me a few more ideas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hound, what would cause that? Do I need to look at a new starter?

I know I sound like a newb with all these questions. Been out of practice, with old cars, for over 9 yrs now. Once I get my manual, it should come back to me easier.

Thanks for all the ideas guys

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hound, what would cause that? Do I need to look at a new starter?

I know I sound like a newb with all these questions. Been out of practice, with old cars, for over 9 yrs now. Once I get my manual, it should come back to me easier.

Thanks for all the ideas guys
What would cause it? Could be dirty, worn or weak return spring. Im refering to the starter drive gear.
I wouldn't buy a new one, untill pulling, cleaning, and testing the old one first.

It also may be a bad lifter "tic-tic-tic" causing a rocker arm to be under oiled or worn, "clack-clack-clack" Thoes noises would go away as oil pressure builds, and oil makes it up to the rockers.
Put your hand on the valve cover when its happining, you may be able to feel it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The fork that controls the starter drive could also be cracked at its pivot. I seen this happen a few times and the drive does not always retract all the way causing noises. you will need to remove the starter to find this issue. when the starter is removed, take the tin cover off that covers this fork and you should be able to see the pivot pin and it may be cracked in this location. I would only try this after all other visuals are exhausted. Why woulld one blade of the fan be 5mm's away and others an inch away? sounds fishy!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If we were voting I would vote for the starter being the culprit. You can pick up a rebuilt for about $40 I think and see if it makes the difference.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Could be a bad lifter. I'm not an expert on how or why it happens, but occasional lifters will clack on start up after sitting for a while, probably because the oil bleeds out of them or something.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have a better idea on the culprit. When starting up the car this morning I heard some grinding as I turned the ignition key. I am now convinced that it is the starter. We shall see this weekend when I get a chance to change it out. Hopefully that's all it is. I gotta change the swaybar bushings also. may as well while I have the car up on ramps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If your going to pull the starter, Dont forget to disconnect the + battery cable. :zap:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My mail truck had a clanging and snapping sound when cranking... That turned out to be a cracked flexplate. I had the problem diagnosed but the USPS mechanics didn't believe me. They kept returning the truck saying it was fine. Then one day the flexplate broke off the motor entirely, leaving me stranded on the side of the road... NOW they believe me...

Even if your flexplate isn't cracked, take off the inspection cover and check your torque converter nuts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tip Milo. Never thought of that. The flexplate never even came to mind. I will make sure to check it out this weekend. Hopefully it's just the starter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts