Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a first car for my youngest daughter and saw one advertised in the local CL for sale and inquired about it. This is the E-mail reply I received.

Hello,

My 1996 Honda Accord EX is in great shape. It was always garaged and never smoked in. It has no scratches, dents, no mechanical or electrical problems. Clean title in hand. It does not need anything additional to function, has only 123,000 miles. I work in the army and I got divorced so I don't need the car anymore because it was my wife's car. I want the deal closed only through eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection in order for you to be 100% protected. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and inspect it (for 5 days) eBay will release the payment to me, this way we are both protected. The last price is $1400. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.

Here are the pics of the car: http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z357/sean786/

Thank you and have a nice day,
Lt. Sean Whalen

Maybe I was out of line, but I E-mailed the individual back and told him that if he was going to pull a CL scam to at least have the decency not involve pretense in associating himself with the men and women who are the real heroes proudly serving in our armed forces.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Tell me where "local" is (and post your location in your profile please) and I will look for a Lt. Sean Whalen for you on Army email at work Monday.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have also gotten e-mails from someone posing as a sailor or in the military wanting to buy without looking at my car for sale on cl. They want to go through pay pal and say they don't have access to their bank account. I just ignore such requests.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I saw a similar scam for a 69 mustang FB a few weeks ago. I told them I had a military ID card, and could get on base to look at the car, and didn't hear back..

·
Registered
902 Posts
Pass me the same information and I will check all Department of Defense registries.
I don't think an actual armed services professional is behind this ages old scam effort...More likely a Romanian or Nigerian scammer. Don't waste time searching for this Whalen guy - if he actually exists, he's not involved. His identity may have been stolen though....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Tell me where "local" is (and post your location in your profile please) and I will look for a Lt. Sean Whalen for you on Army email at work Monday.
Confirming that there is no Sean Whalen on Army email and no Whalen at all with a phone area code of 423 (Chattanooga, Tn).

Regards,

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts