Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spotted this on my Eliminator watch and thought I would pass it along.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2421925308.html

"Two mercury cougar bodies. Titles available. One is a Cobra Jet with the entire undercarriage redone. The other is a big block Grand Tour Eliminator with a redone interior. The rust on both vehicles is low. Package deal or single sale. Price is negoiable. I cant put pictures on yet but will soon."
<!-- START CLTAGS -->

No phone, and no-motor cars. Wonder if they have lights :toung:

Just realized... shouldn't these be '68 bodies if they are GT-E and CJ cars...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Mike,

Although the ad is really confusing, I don't see anywhere where the seller mentions either of these cars is a GT-E.

He mentions they are 67's, and then drops the "Eliminator" and "Cobra jet" buzz words. Really hard to tell what he is trying to sell, but hopefully the photos he claims to be posting soon will help clarify some of the mystery...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Took me a minute to figure out the connection as well.... but the letters for Grand Tour Eliminator would spell GT-E. Pretty funny ad. Wonder what the cars actually are.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took me a minute to figure out the connection as well.... but the letters for Grand Tour Eliminator would spell GT-E. Pretty funny ad. Wonder what the cars actually are.
I always figured that was (basically) what GT-E stood for. So, what DOES GT-E stand for? LOL!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Traditionally the GT acronym would be the Italian "Gran Turismo" which obviously means Grand Touring. The E, I dunno.

Coincidentally, there was a GT/E version of the Opel Manta (though it came after the the Cougar version) in which the E means "Einspritzung" which I understand loosely means fuel injected in German. Not that it sheds any light on the Cougar GT-E... just a co-inky-dink since I have a Manta.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I always figured the E stood for Eliminator. Especially since the next year the Eliminator was released. Grand Touring Edsel doesn't really have much of a ring to it.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"E" stands for Edsel.

Dale in Indy
Seriously? Huh... maybe that's why they didn't make too many of them. Poor Edsel... Talk about a name with bad "Car"-ma (kharma) >.>

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Traditionally the GT acronym would be the Italian "Gran Turismo" which obviously means Grand Touring. The E, I dunno.

Coincidentally, there was a GT/E version of the Opel Manta (though it came after the the Cougar version) in which the E means "Einspritzung" which I understand loosely means fuel injected in German. Not that it sheds any light on the Cougar GT-E... just a co-inky-dink since I have a Manta.
I've always read/heard that it was never really determined, over all these years, what the E stood for..Edsel and Eliminator have both been running neck and neck, though, IIRC

And this is with respect to the GT-E

There is also some debate on what the "E" stands for in "FE", as in the Engine series..most say Ford Edsel, but it hasn't really been written down anywhere how it was developed. Hence the continued debate. This is where the E in GT-E originated. or was it ? ;)

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
"E" for Excellent......

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If I recall my HISTORY correct, in 1967 Ford engineers wanted to do something SPECIAL for Edsel Fords birthday, and the GT-E was born.

I know I'm a bit OLD, but that's how I remember such. Anyone want to dispute, or BACK ME UP?

Dale

I will try to find my proof.............I think I have it in my files.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I thought it stood for envious, anyway, I think the ad was BS, it's been flagged. I never got a response

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

Some have suggested that the very title “GT-E” derives from the fact that the 427E engine was used, thereby upgrading a GT car to a GT-E, while the XR-7S may have derived from the evolution of the basic 390 GT or “S” code engine through increasing the bore. 428 engines were made in Canada in 1967. The “E” in the engine code stands for Edsel, the car line for which it was originally designed.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've always read/heard that it was never really determined, over all these years, what the E stood for..Edsel and Eliminator have both been running neck and neck, though, IIRC

And this is with respect to the GT-E

There is also some debate on what the "E" stands for in "FE", as in the Engine series..most say Ford Edsel, but it hasn't really been written down anywhere how it was developed. Hence the continued debate. This is where the E in GT-E originated. or was it ? ;)
Brian is correct. The "FE" engine designation for the big blocks goes back to the 1950's when they were first developed. I have read "FE" stands for Ford Edsel and I have also read where "FE" means Ford Engine. But Ford Edsel is the more common designation in the articles I have read.

As for the GT-E, I too had previously read the GTE Registry / History write-up and never quite understood the theory where the 427 engine was designated as a 427E. 427 FE yes, but I haven't read anywhere where it had been designated as a 427E. It was the W-code in the 427-4V Cougar, as well as the 427-4V '66 and '67 Fairlanes, R-code for the 427-8V carb Fairlanes.

To me, GT-E means GT-Eliminator for 2 reasons. First, Don Nicholson's drag Cougar was nicknamed the "Eliminator", and I believe it was being drag raced well before the '68 GT-E was available (Royce should have a time table on this). And second, the Eliminator badge/designation was used in the following model year, 1969.

Again, I have witnessed no concrete facts regarding the true meaning of FE or GT-E.

But it does make for a cool debate... :smoke:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me, GT-E means GT-Eliminator for 2 reasons. First, Don Nicholson's drag Cougar was nicknamed the "Eliminator", and I believe it was being drag raced well before the '68 GT-E was available (Royce should have a time table on this). And second, the Eliminator badge/designation was used in the following model year, 1969.
See, now that is what I always thought too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts