Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there would be any potential problems with having an a/c adaptor plugged into my 71 XR-7's cigarette lighter outlet for long periods at a time. This would be running a portable cd player while driving on an upcoming 10 hour drive.

I know newer vehicles have no issues at all, but was wondering about something from '71.

Thanks in advance for any advice, etc!

Dale

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I used to do that in my 68 on long trips like the Power Tour and never had an issue. I'd unplug it when I wasn't driving though.

·
Registered
545 Posts
One other option is to direct wire the CD player to the lighter output.

For example, the portable player probably has batteries and it takes several C or D cells to run, right? Those cells probably = about 12v when inserted.

So just grab a cig lighter cord, snip the wires and direct wire it to the battery contacts of the CD player. You might need to figure out if polarity matters to the player. All the ones I've seen are not affected by a reversed polarity ...meaning they are not damaged by an incorrect polarity hook up.

This way, you remove the a/c converter as the "middle man" because the CD player was just going to convert the A/c power back to D/C anyway.

(I do not recommend this for a beginner to the world of electronics and recommend a bench-test setup to make such modifications to a cord & appliance before tossing it in your classic car and crossing your fingers.)

For no cutting, no modifications, no changing CDs every hour, random playback, saving a LOT of space and being able to take it out of the car and put it in your pocket, keep reading:
A better recommendation is to get a cheap MP3 player and FM transmitter from somewhere like Best Buy or Wal-Mart, (load your CDs to the MP3 player before the trip) and send the broadcast of the transmitter to a radio frequency of your choosing. It will use a cig lighter to draw power and it will also charge the MP3 player at the same time. The whole setup will cost maybe $30 and will probably hold a few hundred songs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! That helps me out a lot!

Double E, I will definitely check out that option...might do the trick for sure!

Dale

·
Registered
945 Posts
"So just grab a cig lighter cord, snip the wires and direct wire it to the battery contacts of the CD player" OMG THE HORROR! Snip the cig lighter wires? :evil: Lighters are a part of americana and no longer available in vehicles:smoke:Actually don't use'm any more, bic lighter in the ashtray and a gatoraid bottle in the cup holder for an ash tray. but the lighter works in the vert , compliments the antique licens plate

·
Registered
396 Posts
If a non-smoker, the cig lighter will work fine. Lazy mans way... Just remember it has power when the key is turned off, that way you can unplug it when not in use and not kill your battery. I use it for my sattelite radio and IPOD all the time.
Charlie

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there would be any potential problems with having an a/c adaptor plugged into my 71 XR-7's cigarette lighter outlet for long periods at a time. This would be running a portable cd player while driving on an upcoming 10 hour drive.

I know newer vehicles have no issues at all, but was wondering about something from '71.

Thanks in advance for any advice, etc!

Dale
Do you have a MP3 player? How about a cassette player already installed? I use a cassette to MP3 adapter in my car I picked it up at "five Below". I have been using it for 2 years now, without a problem. My kids get to select playlists when we are driving around town so it keeps them involved as well.

Paul

·
Registered
545 Posts
Despite the best technology, I find the casette adapters actually work better than the FM transmitter. Plus you don't need to change stations away from actual radio stations that interfere with your selected frequency and the sound is much more "clean".

The only caveat is that there's a wire coming from the casette adapter to the MP3 player and you rely on the mechanicals of a 20 year old casette player to still work for the trip duration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts