Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 68 XR7 to a really big show here in Austin. On the way home that night the front passenger side tire lost it's tread. In doing so it ripped off the chrome strip along the bottom rocker.
The brackets are still attached and look riveted in???:confused: The fender also is bent back a little.
when replacing the chrome will I need to install new brackets? I'm really not sure how this even goes back together.
I will add pics.

Thanks!
:wave:

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I would try to install another rocker moulding and see if the clips/brackets will hold. If not you could buy the reproduction kit and pop rivet them on. Worth a try to reuse if they don't look damaged.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Not sure on a 68 - but I think they are the same - in that the clips riveted onto the body ride inside of the cupped edge on the trim piece. Over time they tend not to hold so good - probably due to the plastic deteriorating and the formed edge of the trim seems to lose shape too....NOS ones seem to be hard to come by, but you may find good used ones yet if you need them. Try Johns or WCCC..... (Many of the trim pieces have holes drilled through and screw put into them --- like the PO did on mine)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of replacing the plastic, it's old and might fall apart.
I found a re-pro chrome part online. I will send pics of the progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts