Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that I am out of work, I'm getting pretty bored around here :) Sooo... I have always wanted to paint the front of my cat black. I hate all the chrome on the front of the car! I have no idea why, but it reminds me of an old 60's toaster (Go figure). My question is, what kind of paint would I use to paint it black? Should I grind off the chrome? How should I go about doing it? If it was in perfect condition ofcourse I wouldn't dare ruin it, but it is worn, so I don't mind changing it.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did.. I did...

Well,

Since I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not, I just cleaned everything up with MEK (could use acetone I guess) and painted it with rattle can semigloss black. The first coat was barely a coat at all... something like overspray would look. Then I let it dry in the sun for a while. The paint I used, said that additional coats were to be done within an hour, or wait 5 days. So about every 45 minutes or so, I'd spray another coat. It covered pretty well and I've got about 2 cans of paint on the front end I'd say. Maybe 2 1/2. The bottom of my posts has a link to my website with pics of the front end. I like the way it came out.

Now ~ since I know I like it... when I actually get the car painted, I'll take all the front grille stuff and media blast it, prime it and then paint it... I'm sure this stuff will last a while, but I wanted the option of stripping the black off if it looked like crapola.. know what I mean Vern?

Anyway... the link is below.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Use steel wool on it, then self etching primer (few coats) then a few coats of the color. Make sure its clean first after the steel wool, and use a metal prep on the grille first. then if you drive thru sandy areas, do it again :D

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
You could :D or get creative and tape the cat and the trim and paint inside the flat area.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actaully, I am going to paint the emblem, but I heard if I use thin red paint, I can just wipe it off the cat and trim.

I just ripped all of the grille off.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
you could also try some of those clear paints that are now available through eastwood that way you change color but will retain somne of the chrome luster

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CG. I sprayed it all tonight... this is what I did.. I first washed the grille down in Oil Eater, then washed it with Acetone. Once it dried I sprayed about 3 coats of Black Krylon Primer, and then about 2 or 3 coats of Krylon Semi-Flat Black. I decided to try something different, I sprayed the cat emblem all black, along with all the chrome, (It was pitted, I wouldn't have wasted a GOOD emblem). So, it is all black, but the bright red emblem in the middle really sets it off! So far it looks really good, and I haven't even bolted it on yet.

My question is, should I spray a clear coat over all of it? Do they make a spray on clear coat? I was thinking it would be a good idea, as I sprayed over the chrome, and I know paint and chrome don't mix too well, although the primer did take to it really well.

Over all I am very happy!

Thanks again everyone!

Chris

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I let everything dry overnight and put it all back on today, it looks great, but if I just as much as kind of jab my fingernail at the paint on the chrome parts it comes off and exposes the chrome. Is there some way to strengthen that up? Otherwise I don't think it will last more than a week or so.

Thanks

Chris

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I am trying to remember but i am sure they make a chrome paint and i thought it was in eastwoods catolouge but have not been able to find it. There was something posted a while back too about it. But i believe it was black only and i am intending on painting the origanal black areas same color as i do the car so i will be interested in what you find out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cleaned it all very well too, and I sanded one piece and didn't sand the rest, and the one I sanded is the same way the others are... could it take longer than 10 hours to dry? Would a clear coat strengthen it any?

Thanks

Chris

If worse comes to worse I will just take the paint off the chrome, the rest will still look good with the new paint....

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just talked to Krylon, they laughed at me when I told them I only let it dry 10 hours. They said it was perfectly normal for it to be soft like that, and they said not to drive it for atleast 48 hours, but it will fully dry in about 5 days. So the Cougar is staying grounded for a while =) Now, to copy OC_Cougar, and do the rear light lense frames =)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just uploaded a picture of the grille, its dark, and at such an angle you can't see the shiny red emblem in the middle that sets it off, so until I take a new photo tomorrow use your imagination :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts