Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with this. '68 J-Code, 302 4V. How do I repair the choke tubes at the exhaust manifold. My manifold is so rusted around that area that I can't tell how or even if that comes apart. Do I just drill the rusted parts out? I'd rather not replace the maniford. I've seen replacement tubes on the various Cougar and Mustang sites, so I know where to get the parts.

Thanks,

Greg Wilkerson

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
They do get pretty rotted. I'm not sure off the top of my head what size bit to drill it, but you can get the tubes from the "HELP" brand stuff at the box stores too....just drill it to the diameter needed and a little dab of hi temp silicone outta do the trick. I fixed my camper that way and it seemed to work out well. Nice lookin' cat BTW!

·
Registered
255 Posts
You could use J-B Weld, it works great! The hotter it gets, the harder it gets. Fixed a crack in my exhaust manifold on my Jeep once.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
As B69C says will get the old pieces of tube out of the manifold, they are press-fit into the manifold. Just make sure you don't use a bit any bigger than the tubes so that you are only drilling out the remnants of the old ones.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did manage to get drill out the rusted parts of the tubing. But, some of the pieces are still inside the stove. Now, I need to get the end cap off. I have run across some sites that show the end cap does come out. It's not threaded so I assume it was pressed in there. What would be the best way to get that out. I'm tempted to get a long, thin punch, run it down from the top of the manifold and knock it out. It does seem to fit really tight. Liquid Wrench isn't helping either. Would heating up the manifold with a torch make it easier to get that out?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, I'd try the heat first....worst case a few love taps while nice and toasty. I never have luck with PB blaster or WD soaking on stuff that gets that hot anyway - seems like the crud swells up to much to allow it to get into it.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after 20 minutes with a propane torch on the bottom of the choke stove and trying to punch it out with a hammer and steel rod did me no good. It may be time to try to drill it out. Hmm.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'll trade you that job for my '98 5.4 broken/rusted off manifold studs that are going into an aluminum head and nearly impossible to get at! All winter long it's been clacking a bit louder eveyday as a reminder.....NOT looking forward to it. Nice balmy -18F this am too, I think I'll wait a few more months!!
(I'm considering putting Chevy emblems on it and leaving it alone! LOL )

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That article was perfect. It took me all of 10 minutes to get that out. That article should be a "sticky" on the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts