Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 70 COUGAR WITH 351W. ON THE ROUND CARB. MOUNTED CHOKE THERE IS A WHITE INSULATED HEAT TUBE WITH ONE IN ATTACHED INSIDE THE CHOKE HOUSING AND MY QUESTION IS, WHERE DOES THE OTHER END OF THIS HEAT TUBE ATTACH? MINE IS JUST DANGLING BY THE BLOCK. DOES IT INSERT OR ATTACH SOMEPLACE?

ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

ALSO I NEED A COMPLETE FRONT END KIT-BOTH LOWER/UPPER ARMS,BUSHINGS,BALL JOINTS ETC. I CHECKED OUT PST'S SITE ALREADY, ANY SUGGESTIONS ON OTHER VENDORS THAT I MAY CHECK OUT FOR COMPARISON SHOPPING.

THANKS!

·
11,000 Posts
Choke tube, suspension

There should be two choke tubes. Both attach to the passenger side exhaust manifold. New ones are available from your favorite parts vendor or directly from the manufacturer Inline Tube.

Since you live in Texas, check out Dallas Mustang. I used them for all my suspension needs for years. PST is a bit higher priced and carries the identical same parts. Mustang and Cougar suspension parts are identical regarding front suspension to Mustangs of the same year for model years 68 - 73.

If you want to buy from a Cougar only vendor the price will be slightly higher.

www.dallasmustangparts.com

or 1-800-Mustang

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Royce,
It just so happens I was playing with the 67 last night trying to set the choke and that line was hooked up to the exhaust manafold but at the carb there is no fitting to connect it to the choke:mad: It is supposed to be a flair type fitting... right. Also does this line actually route exhaust gas to the choke to heat it up or does it just transfer heat via induction to transfer the heat to the choke??

Don

·
11,000 Posts
Heat

There is a passage cast into the exhaust manifold, not connected to the exhaust gases. Air is drawn from the carb inlet, thru the exhaust manifold and back up to the choke spring. The spring has a bimetallic element that changes length as the car warms up, opening the choke.

·
11,000 Posts
Well....

If it makes you feel any better I only drive one at a time.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Thanks Royce:D
I guess I'm going to have to get a "B"nut that fits the choke and get a tube flairing tool and hook that bad boy up tonight.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts