Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took the new 71 Cougar out for the first "road test". As I was easing into traffic (maybe easing isn't the right word lol) I had to accelearte pretty quick and noticed the car shifted pretty hard into second and the tires let out a big chirp. It also did this when I punched it doing about 20. It downshifted to first and then when it hit second it chirped them again. Is this normal? I'm not one to "Hot Rod" I just wanted to run it out a little since it really hasn't been driven too much.The car has the 351C and the C6. I also noticed that is was running a bit hotter when I had the air conditioning on. Nothing too major just at the very high end of the normal range. When I shut the air off it went back to just above center. Other than that it was a dream to drive. I was on the Highway, it cruised at 70 straight as an arrow with no shimmies or shakes, and it accelerated smoothly anytime I wanted a bit more. I have the pictures at Walmart and should be able to post them in a day or two.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
my car wil occasionally do that as well. once when the car was stripped with no bumpers, interior and whatnot, it shifted to second and didnt chirp.. but SPUN the tire ( non posi ) hard enough to make the whole rear of the car shimmy around lol. almost like i locked a rear brake. kinda fun actually. dont think youll hurt anything though.. well provided that you keep it out of the weeds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I bought it from the original owner who was 45 years old when she purchased it in 71 and she was the only one who ever drove it. She didn't remember anything about the purchase other than she bought it here in Florida. If there was a shift kit installed it must have been done when she purchased it. Good for her!! And me lol

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
let me get this straight your worried your getting scratch in first and second? i thought that was what we were all trying to acheive. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well worried wasn't exactly how I felt lol. I wasn't used to such a big car with a puny 2V doing tricks for me. I'm happy now though. Thanks!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I'm worried - my tyres don't chirp when the 428 changes into second gear - I only get this foul smell and a lot of smoke behind the car - transmission doesn't appear to be cooked but I keep having to replace the rear tyres - do I have a problem if I don't have chirp:(

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
ya leon buy tires they last longer than tyres:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Heck, even my old (165,000 mile) 89 Grand Marquis chirps second gear! Of course, having a slightly tweaked motor, headers, 3.55 posi rear and a race-prepped AOD in there helps quite a bit. It does get people's attention though when those tires chirp!

I actually prefer that old car to my 96 Crown Vic with the 'sport handling pkg'. The Vic's trans just mushes along. I'm thinking about putting a shift upgrade kit in it too!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Leon

Leon, you making fun of me? lol I also have a 71 Chevelle SS Convert with a four speed that doesn't chirp either. I can't talk about her much with the Chevy guys because most of them can't type. I'm looking for another Cougar though now that I'm hooked. Probably a 69 or 70 vert. Just have to save some more pennies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts