Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way down to pick my daughter up at school im making a secret detour to look over a 69 convertible.He says it needs a total restore.Other than the obvious on the 69s.What elese should I look for besides a new top.I just thought I would do some tire kickin to break up the 8 hour round trip. He wants around 2500.00 dosnt sound road worthy being in ohio

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trunk

what about where the top folds

·
Registered
906 Posts
yes, be sure to check the floors and their supports. Convertibles had the extra chassis strenghtening, which can rust away. I've even seen convertibles broken in two because of this being gone.

·
Registered
448 Posts
69 Convertible check

Dan,
Check out the pictures on this link. If it looks anything like the first two pictures. Do not touch it with a ten foot pole.

http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougarfloor.html

Unless of course, you are as stupid as me. Seriously though, check the floors, torque boxes and rocker panels. The rockers on the vert had stronger channels to help stiffen the body. Also check the trunk area where the top would leak down. The convertibles are notoriously rusty, so if the rust is not to bad you may have a winner. Bring a camera, take some pics, and then ask again for more input.
Good luck,
Paul G.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a nice Drive anyway........ Well heres the scoop,Im at a loss for words-how about parts and maybe a 300.00 offer and I think Im high it to bad to see another one lost.It does have a 351W. Black interior,The dash was in good shape.If he will take my offer I will get it and part it out but most will be mechanical.end caps conv.parts ect any intrest?If I can recoup my investment I will get it and a (FORUM MEMBER DISCOUNT)Major body panels arnt worth it nor bumpers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts