Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was checking on cougars on Ebay and came across a '68 with a supposedly low reserve. Then I saw the car was in Pompano beach. That's a 20 minute drive for me. I also recognized the vendor. So I packed my 3 & 6 yr old in the '68 and headed up to Pompano bch. The car is pretty much as described in the ad. Typical South Florida car. The underside of the front of the hood has had rust repair which will come thru again and the filler panel between the backglass and trunk lid is starting to bubble. I did not open the trunk and look under to see how bad the rust is/could be. The rest of the car is clean and straight. Perfect floor and frame from what i could see, a little dark inside a showroom. I asked the guy what he would take for it and he said around $9000. I guess that must be their reserve as well. Interesting interior. Can't decide whether or not i like it. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=600506168[/url]

Bert

·
Registered
75 Posts
hmmmmmm

I do not like that car at all...... way too much "custom" stuff..... And $9000.00 seems WAY high (to me)...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yah! $9000 is too much for that car. As soon as he told me that, I walked away. The interior is too modified for me as well. I like the stock interior a lot more. Be interesting to see what he gets for it though.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
am i sick and wrong??? i like that dash!!!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm with you guys on this one, but I tell you what, in the last few weeks there has been some nice 71-73's going pretty cheap. Any one who likes them had ought to be helping themselves right now. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Myabe its because im young and dont know any better. Maybe its the fact that i like the actual process of building the car the most. Maybe im just cheap. but i wouldnt pay 9000 for a car at this point in my life. the Cougar was 3000 when i got it, and the Mach 1 is in exchange for labor on another car. i dont get it, i guess i feel that if i can make a car nice for a little bit of work, ill always consider it a better buy. I would rather have a car that is a bit rough, than a car that has been mickey moused to hell. if anyone does a mickey mouse job on a car, it had better be me dammit ! lol besides, if i can do a total paint and body on a car at the moment for less than 700 ( for decent paint, possible panel replacement, but a complete ) i will be willing to buy a car that will need a little work over a total resto. i just like to have a clean interior over anything.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The reserve was met, it's at 5500 now, goes to show car sales guys try and get all they can. I like the seats, better if they were covers instead though.

Rick

·
Registered
364 Posts
i don't know what you were looking at, dark7068...

but i just looked and it's at $3,500 and the reserve has not been met.

only you know if you're sick, sixt9, but you aren't wrong. i kind of like the dash myself. not as fancy as the custom mexican job posted before, but it's nicer than fake wood grain.

i don't care for the rest of the interior though. a bit too girly for my tastes.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
71-73s cheap?

MM, What, exactly, do you call 'cheap'?

I've been watching those Cougars on Ebay. How 'bout that clean low-mile 71 Standard? It went for $5450! The low-mile 73 standard hasn't met reserve at $3000. The 'buy it now' price is $5850! Maybe I'm out of touch as to what my Cats would go for these days. I paid $150 for Beta Cat, and only $1200 for Alpha Cat. Both of these are 351-CJ cars too! I bought a wrecked 72 Convert for $350, a 72 XR-7 351CJ convert for $450, a nice 71 XR-7 for $200... granted, this was a few years ago!

Any way, with my other half unemployed right now I have to watch my expenditures very closely. Three years now. Anybody need an analytical chemist?

I'm gonna have to start selling off my 'stash' of NOS parts soon if this keeps up!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I guess cheap is in the eye of the beholder. I havent paid real close attention to them, just as I surf by a couple times a week. I didnt see that one for $5450 end up, it must have had alot of late bidders on it. I just figured for a one owner, low milage car that didnt really need anything, would be a good buy at anything below 5 grand, if you liked those year Cougars. If your cars are needing restored, I would think it would be hard to do it for less. Thats all I was thinking. Seems to me I have seen a couple decent converts sell in the last few months in the 2-3k range. My wife always wanted a convert and I was thinking a 71-73 convert might be a cheap way out for me. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
one thing i have seen before that was really really cool was in a 73 Mercury Capri. there is another guy in my class that has it. its a gold car ( he he he, i like gold...) it has black stripes and a V6 in it. Nice car, but it has a killer walnut dash in it. The owner said that he sent it out and the guy was able to do it for $100 or so. its sweet. it makes me want to do that to the Cougar. But im broke and i have other priorities as far as car spending. Perhaps one day though. and maybe in the Mach1........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts