1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
142 Posts
End of Ad says"Must go to good home", I don't think he needs to worry about a new home anytime soon...

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Good lookin' car, IMO. Most likely, he isn't sure what to really price it at and so he's got it set to "not sell" so he can determine value for a later sale. At least that is what I think.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Looks like a really nice 67 GT. Just not 50,000 dollars worth.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The seller is definitely not consulting with the NADA...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
High BIN prices on eBay are the norm. This one is kind of in the stratosphere though. The seller will likely lower the BIN price a couple of days prior to the auctions end. Everyone that has a bookmarked the auction gets an email stating "The seller has lowered the BIN ... for an item you have been watching". Kind of a reminder.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I agree. Yes, It's a California car, but $20K? I'm going to put MY car on ebay and see what happens!
Maybe someone is helping the bidding along...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Maybe someone is helping the bidding along...
This one is definitely puzzling to me, especially since I have one to sell. However, the bidding looks legit.

It seems to me that Ebay can be a real crap shoot. I guess it just depends on who's looking to buy at any given moment over a 7 or 10 day listing.

:smoke:

·
Registered
936 Posts
This one is definitely puzzling to me, especially since I have one to sell. However, the bidding looks legit.

It seems to me that Ebay can be a real crap shoot. I guess it just depends on who's looking to buy at any given moment over a 7 or 10 day listing.

What am I missing here? A rare option? I would be willing to let my 70 Eliminator go in this ballpark and IMHO it is more Cougar for the same money. I am truly baffled. THE super high BIN coupled with the high bidding still seems and smells plain wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bidding on the car just ended, with the high bid of $25,099 still not having exceeded the reserve. I'm new to this (bought my '68 XR-7 two months ago), but I'm as puzzled as everyone else. Does the rarity of the 390 and manual transmission justify this sort of price for a car which is in good, but not great condition? The paint is tired, the interior is tired, the photos show the headlight doors open (suggesting they're not operable). The color combination is uninspired. There's no explanation of the curious statement "one owner car". Other than XR7-G's or GT-E's, this price would seem to require a fully restored car. I'm not suggesting that the bidding was rigged, I'm just curious what others think about how the market values first generation coupes.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The high bidder is a Cougar guy named Rick from what I've heard here. He's also trying to sell this Cougar on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Mercury-Cougar-S-Code-390-4V-1-Family-owned-since-New-w-Docs-Rust-Free-/170749038000?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c16f8db0

Anyone know who r***b(34) is?

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=170740679320

I've seen him bidding on many other Cougars. He also won the previous auction for Rick's Cougar but then Rick re-listed it. Maybe there is something strange going on with this...

·
Registered
563 Posts
NADA value img379.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
IMO One owner big block and 4 speed California car always gets more $$$$. But not 50K. If i was the seller i would have to let it go at the high bid.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Is this "Rick" from Rhode Island? If so, he has bought and sold many Cougars at varying degrees of representation.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Is this "Rick" from Rhode Island? If so, he has bought and sold many Cougars at varying degrees of representation.
According to the Ebay listing for the '67 Cougar 6.5 Litre, the seller "riksklasics" is located in Lincoln, RI.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Cougar-390-4V-1967-Mercury-Cougar-S-Code-390-4V-1-Family-owned-since-New-w-Docs-Rust-Free-/170749038000?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c16f8db0

If Rick knows Cougars so well then it makes it hard to believe that he would bid more than what the NADA guide value is. Considering most folks think that the NADA guide numbers are on the high side. Unless there's more to this than we all know...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks like that cat is prone to marking it's turf too! BTW not everything works or it wouldn't be winking at us either. I'm not seeing it either? Wonder if it ends up relisted due to non-payment? Seems pretty common on ebay anymore. I don't let anybody bid that doesn't meet certain criteria just to keep the deadbeats from wasting my time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts