Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an ad I saw in the 'CAR' magazine, what do you think. 20 more horsepower??

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Doubt if you'll get any additional horsepower but the Pertronix (Ignitor) is worth it just because you don't have to reset points and your timing will stay set much longer. I have it in two of my cats.

Guess you could pick up some horsepower if your car suffers from points bounce at high RPM but 20 is a bit much

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought, wonder if I could sue for false advertising, so you think the ignitor is worth it? And the spark plug leads?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a natural distrust for firms called names like the one on the ad:)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It's not false advertising. Note that it says "up to 20 HP"......so it could be only a .01 HP gain, but probably no more than 20HP.

The gain is negligible, but performance is probably more consistent. There is also a new Ignitor II.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Those "Up To" gains they do on everything.

K&N filters advertise like "up to" 20 hp or something, and the car that gained that much hp was like an old Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about that afterwards, the 0.01hp gain, still it bugs me, I know its not flase but borders on it. K&N sell some replacement elements called Filtercharger, ever heard of them?

Also, another advert that advertises up to 40HP more, Powerkote USA, "hi-tech ceramic coatings seriously protect engine components from heat and detonation"

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I noticed a BIG improvement with my K&N filter. a major feel in the pants difference (better of for the 100.Canadian I spent :))

I heard the ignitor screwing up, the Ignitor11 is supposed be to alot better and hassle free. I have the crane xr700 ignition in my car, and I like it.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts