Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great site! And how lucky can you be to buy your own car 35 years later!!! What a great story!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Harry, your website is very well done, with wonderful documentation. It's awesome you got your original Eliminator back. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very nice job on your website and your Eliminator. Your car was produced three days after our SCJ Eliminatior. Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
Fascinating reading stories like yours Harry, plus it is always great to see pics and documentation of a Cougar restoration.

Thanks for going to the trouble to create the site and sharing!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the complements, guys. And check back often; I'll be making changes and updates almost daily as things are starting to happen a bit faster now ... finally!! I'll identify changes in an Updates section of the Home page (yet to be built).

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My only critique is the diamond plate and black text pages (seemed like only some of the first pages) are hard to read. Otherwise, great job!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Agree w/Bob - those are hard to read but I know why you like them...I was trying to decide if your rocker moldings were in better shape than mine! LOL probably about the same (DANG IT!) Nice site though! And NICE CAT! I may have to bite the bullit and get the "repops" that have finally come to market. (Good thread on those BTW - Bob had a hand in many test-fits!!)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you may have opened the site while I was doing some editing; let me know if it's still doing it and I'll look into it. I only wanted the diamond plate on the edges.

·
Registered
266 Posts
compliments on a great site and a fascinating story. You have made a valuable contribution to the Cougar hobby!

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Really good job and a happy ending even!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
All I can say Harry is that you have more determination than anyone I have met. To keep going and not let any of the curves stop you, that this one has thrown your way, is impressive to say the very least. Great job on the website and recording of the build. One question about the engine on that valve and valve retainer, did you find the reason for all that wear? Did you check out the oil flow to and through that lifter, pushrod, etc? There must be a reason it failed like that and before you run it is the time to find it. You could run the oil pump with a drill and see if you get any oil up to that rocker. If you don't check it before you run the engine, then for sure lift that rocker cover and have a look to see that its getting oil when you do your first start up. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I can say Harry is that you have more determination than anyone I have met. To keep going and not let any of the curves stop you, that this one has thrown your way, is impressive to say the very least. Great job on the website and recording of the build. One question about the engine on that valve and valve retainer, did you find the reason for all that wear? Did you check out the oil flow to and through that lifter, pushrod, etc? There must be a reason it failed like that and before you run it is the time to find it. You could run the oil pump with a drill and see if you get any oil up to that rocker. If you don't check it before you run the engine, then for sure lift that rocker cover and have a look to see that its getting oil when you do your first start up. Better safe than sorry.
No, I saw no reason for the wear. And I found no iron grit/filings in the pan either, so I'm assuming it happened a while ago and the grit was washed out with previous oil changes.

When I opened the valve cover, that spring and valve stem were just as oily as the others, so am assuming it got oil. I did replace the oil pump in case it had a problem. But I will do as you suggest, open that cover after runninng it to make sure it is getting oil. Thanks for the tip.

Hope you had a good meeting tonight; sorry I couldn't be there. We're on the road to Phoenix right now .. hoping to get some warm sun!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts