Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having some problems with the chargind system for a while, I think my battery may be over-charging. I took out the stock mechanical voltage regulator a month ago and put in a solid-state one I picked up from autozone because the mechanical one seemed to be faulty. With the new regulator, my voltage stays at a constant 14.50-14.59 volts when the engine is on. However, I seem to still get battery acid spilling out of my battery. What is a normal voltage for the regulator? If the current voltage is too high, is there any way to adjust my new voltage regulator? Could the battery be at fault? I don't have too much experience with electric matters, so any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
C
whats the size of the battery? Cold cranking amps? the battery may be to small and all the power may be to much for that battery to handle. Look into a bigger size battery.Iwent to a maintence free battery from sears that has over 800 cold cranking amps and since 94 i havent had a problem with it yet.You say you got battery acid comming thru the top sounds like the conventional battery you gotta add water/sulfuric acid to it.If the battery is old change it it may help the problem some.
thanks
pat

·
11,000 Posts
If you are using one of the reproduction Autolite batteries that's normal. They give off acid fumes all the time. I recommend against ever using one, the underside of my green GTE's hood needs repainting now because of the stupid "authentic" repro battery.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably take the car over to sears tomorrow and see what their automotive shop has to say about it, if anything. The only thing I know about the battery is that it's an Exide model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts