Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I am considering changing the color interior of one of my 69's from black to tan or saddle. Currently the dash pad and dash are black. Would I dye and paint them the color of the interior or the color of the exterior of the car, which is factory dark aqua metallic, a very nice color. I don't believe there is a spray can of this color available for dash dye. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Its a shame you aren't nearer me. If your dash was in good condition we could swap. I have a perfect tan dash pad and I am going to either strip it back to black (original colour) or paint it black. The air mail would be soooooo costly!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
The color of the dash pad depends upon which factory interior you are trying to copy. My car is dark aqua als. The interior is aqua and white. My dash pad is aqua, as is the console. I have seen cars with an all aqua interior. If you are going saddle, you can either go saddle with the dash pad and console, or match the carpet color.

Steve

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Steve, I wasn't totally sure about the dash.

Jim

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great job on your interior, Paul. No pictures at this time. I have it up on blocks, taking it apart right now to redo it. According to Marti, there were only 22 XR7 conv.'s made with the Dark Aqua/ Black combo, and this being an M code makes it even more rare, I'm sure. I do like the saddle color, though. We'll see, it will be awhile before it gets finished

Jim

·
Registered
448 Posts
Aqua/Black

Jim,
I have a Johnny Lightning 69 Convertible in dark aqua with black interior. You should try to find one, it will look exactly like your car.
Paul Garvin

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul,

Thanks, I just got one on Ebay of that combo. I appreciate the thoughtful comment, though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I need to touch up my kick panels and was wondering about the use of the vinyl dye for this. I have never used this before and wondered if that is the proper product to use on the kick panels and is it as easy as just spraying it on there like your painting any other part?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Like most paint work, the secret is in the prep. You need to clean off all dirt and traces of silicone from the panels. You never know what a prior owner put on them. I use a scrub brush and simple green, but there are other products which are just as good. The dye will not adhere properly if there are any traces of silicone left. Some people use TSP. Then spray with vinyl prep followed by vinyl dye. I have used the SEM vinyl prep and dye. I would think it is a good idea to stay with the prep from the same manufacturer as your dye.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts