Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the interior of my 69 XR7 from White/Green to all black. The green seat belts are in good shape, but they won't look too good with the all black interior. Like most of us, the budget is not unlimited, so I am looking for a complete set of black seat belts and shoulder harnesses that I can afford. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone want to trade my green set for your black set?

If I can't find a decent, affordable set, I am considering trying to dye the set I have. Has anyone done this before? Problems? Colorfastness? (is that a word?) Any help and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts
dyeing seatbelts has been done alot before. ive seen mixed results. and, due to my profession and training, i would never dye seat belts. and actually, i'd never reuse seat belts from this era anyway...im replacing ours with new FMVSS approved versions, they are pretty cheap for the "classic" style. im assuming u arent doing a concours correct since u are changing colors anyway so that might be an option and have a little better margin of safety....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terry - Here is the complete green set I removed from my 69 XR7. Everything works, no cuts, frays or snags. One of the little round release button covers is missing from one latch, but other than being 42 years old and a little dirty, they are in pretty good shape. If the black set you have is in similar condition, I'd like to talk about a trade. I'm also sending you a PM. Thanks!

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts