Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to replace my heater hoses on my '69 cougar 351 4v. I noticed the hoses go inside the fire wall and connect to the heater core. Usually there are two brass tubes that come out where you can connect the hoses. My question is, how do you do it? Do I have to take the dash apart to get to them are is there another way? Thanks Rick

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You should be able to get access to the fittings through the glove box opening.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The heater core actually has two copper lines that protrude from the Evap Coil/Heater Core box ... through the firewall and into the engine bay. Take a look at teh following pic of our Eliminator build. It actually shows the AC lines to the left side of the firewall and the two heater lines to the right. I've capped them with blue masking tape to keep body shop dust out of the lines.

What you're wanting to do is actually rather simple. Once you remove your hose clamps ... I'll use a utility knife to "slice" the end of the old heater hose off of the fitting. Odds are, it will have bonded itself to the heater core lines. Once you put a slice into the hose, use a flat bladed screwdriver to loosen the hose off of the line. It usually doesn't take that much to get them off after cutting the old hose. Then it's simply matching the length of hoses and replacing them one at a time. Note - use some vasaline to lubricate the fittings you're about to slide new hoses on ... it makes it a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
A/C cars have the tubes protruding into the engine compartment. Non-A/C cars have the hoses going through the firewall and connecting to the heater core under the dash. As Yelo wrote, you can get to the connections throught the glove box opening but it's really not the least bit fun. Loosening the heater box fasteners so you can slide it away from the firewall may give you more room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts