Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to change the FMX in my 1970 standard 351 M code to a world class t-5. The transmission is in a 1995 Cobra with a bad motor, It comes with a new spec stage 3 clutch kit and a pro5.0 shifter. The transmission is still in the car behind the motor so I can come away with bellhousing, linkage, transmission mount, drive shaft or anything that I ask for or (think will fit). I am a reasonably good nut and bolt changer but do not have any experience with this type of swap. I have also researched threads on this site. Will this 95 trans, bellhousing, clutch and shifter fit and what else will I need. The obvious is of course a clutch pedal but will the clutch and brake pedal from this 95 cobra fit or should I buy these from the Dons and Johns in our world? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Sal

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If it is a 5.0 in the Cobra then it will bolt right up, minus the flywheel. I would go to Don for the crossmember and the pedal, will also need a new driveshaft. The tricky part come to the clutch. Easiest would probably be a cable setup, check out Mustang Steves clutch quadrant setup http://www.mustangsteve.com/index.html He has loads of other trans related stuff on there. Or there is the hydralic setup. http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/HYD%20Clutch.htm You can just cut the tab on your brake pedal to match the new pad you buy for it. The shifter may require some floor trimming, not sure if it will fit the console, someone else may know better. I would get anything that you can. Driveshaft would be helpful for the yoke, the cable setup, unless they went to hydralic in that body, if so grab that stuff too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fastcat for your input, I have come to the conclusion that I will need to have my drive shaft redone, (not a problem) but I am not happy with cutting for the shifter and I don,t want to lose my console. Tough decision! Sal

I've been on the mustang steve site but the midnightdsigns is new to me, Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Remember that the 95 is slightly shorter in the front than the 93 and earlier so be prepared to make up the difference in the mount. I would check with Modern Driveline on this swap.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the web sites and the information. I have learned that the 95 year T-5 that I was looking at would cause me problems with the exhaust because the clutch cable comes out lower than the 93 year T-5 that is recomended. Also realized that in order to do it right, to make a conversion like that would cost a bundle more than I am willing to spend right now. Moderndriveline.com recommended a TKO and all of the trim. The old FMX is working just fine. Sal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts