Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '68 cougar has a 302 engine from 1973, so it has the crappy low horsepower. I'm trying to get every bit of power out of it. Is it possible that I can change the firing order and get more power? Could I change it to for say a 1991 mustang 5.0 HO's firing order and get more power? or will it not run? The firing order now is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8, what could I change it to???

Thank you, Nate B

·
Registered
568 Posts
My only knowledge of changing the firing order is related to a 289. Most high performance cams (for a 289) require a change in firing order to a 351W. I do not think merely changing the firing order on your 302 will work.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The firing order change is due to the cam change. Your firing order must match the cam or you will get backfiring, less power and worse.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Firing order (unless the wires are run to the wrong spark plugs) has no effect on horsepower.

It is what it is.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My '68 cougar has a 302 engine from 1973, so it has the crappy low horsepower. I'm trying to get every bit of power out of it. Is it possible that I can change the firing order and get more power? Could I change it to for say a 1991 mustang 5.0 HO's firing order and get more power? or will it not run? The firing order now is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8, what could I change it to???

Thank you, Nate B
You can't change the firing order. Period

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Assuming you had two cams with identical specs except for the firing order, would one be better than the other? No, they should make the same amount of power. The only difference is the the load on the crank. It is not better, it is just different.

When I bought my 280H for my 351W, it came with a 289 firing order. The 351W firing order was not available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts