Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a problem to get my 1968 Cougar XR7 through our car inspection here in Switzerland. I have Ford disc brakes on the front and rear, and according the Manual, the 1968 Cougar was only available with disc brakes on the front and drum brakes on the rear as far as I know...

Now I need a certificate from a shop that these rear disc brakes are allowed for this model. I don't find anyone here in Europe... does anybody know a solution for this problem or knows a shop who confirms me this? I added some pics of the rear disc brake from Ford... I'm sure that this is allowed for this model but I need a written confirmation for our inspection department... thanks for your help.

Brake_2.jpg

Brake_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The rear brakes are a conversion, one that I am not familiar with. You are correct that they were not available with and did not come with rear disc from the factory.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, I don't know where you could get "written" documentation for soemthing like that? Honestly, if done correctly - they are safer than drum brakes, so you would think it would be more beneficial. I guess they are questioning the correctness of it though. How about getting them converted back to drums until it passes inspection? I think you caoul get parts from Mustang Steve to get it back to factory spec's. http://www.mustangsteve.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that they're safer then drum brakes... but they need a kind of "insurance" for that :-/ It's something stupid... and I was also thinking about re-converting them. But this would be my last choice since I would need to buy all the parts just to pass the inspection... I'm thinking of contacting Ford directly for this... but I'm not sure if my E-Mail would get lost in such a big company :-/

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The problem is going to be the officials in your government questioning not the brakes themselves but the hardware/brackets that attach the brakes to the rear, the conversion stuff. I have heard other people say things like "those brackets would never pass inspection in my country", was it Leon Bray perhaps that said this?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I know that they're safer then drum brakes... but they need a kind of "insurance" for that :-/ It's something stupid... and I was also thinking about re-converting them. But this would be my last choice since I would need to buy all the parts just to pass the inspection... I'm thinking of contacting Ford directly for this... but I'm not sure if my E-Mail would get lost in such a big company :-/
I can just about guarantee that Ford is not going to give you any kind of certification for something Ford did not build. But just to be clear, does the inspection require certification that the car's brakes are original equipment or certification from the component manufacturer(s) that the components are designed for your particular application?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They need a certificate that these brakes are allowed to assemble on this car... no confirmation from the manufacturer needed. It can be any shop in the world that confirms that these brakes are allowed to built on this car. If I had a repair shop I would do it by my own...

·
Registered
980 Posts
The problem is going to be the officials in your government questioning not the brakes themselves but the hardware/brackets that attach the brakes to the rear, the conversion stuff. I have heard other people say things like "those brackets would never pass inspection in my country", was it Leon Bray perhaps that said this?

Yeah, some of the parts were questionable I guess :)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
They need a certificate that these brakes are allowed to assemble on this car... no confirmation from the manufacturer needed. It can be any shop in the world that confirms that these brakes are allowed to built on this car. If I had a repair shop I would do it by my own...
What exactly does "allowed" mean in this case?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Those are obviously Ford calipers and Ford won't certify them as being "allowed" for use on anything other than OEM applications. I think that alone pretty much sinks your ship as far as appeasing the inspector. Perhaps if you swapped out the calipers for some aftermarket ones (which could be certified) the inspector would ignore the rotors, etc.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Haven't you got a national car club ?

Here in Norway there's AMCAR, they'll help with things like getting the car approved.
I'm hoping to bring my car over here next year, they say they'll inspect the car, and presuming the work has been done to a good standard, say they can give me a certificate recommending the car be approved.

Maybe you can find a similarservice, I'd be very surprised if Ford will, so clubs and engineers reports are probably your only hope

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - I haven't seen pull tabs in forever!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
how do you get hot rods certified in Switzerland. There is normally a process to get approvals for modifications to vehicles

http://www.uscc.ch/en/index.php

Here are a few more to contacts

http://www.uscc.ch/en/index.php?file=links.php&titel=Clubs in Switzerland&adv=norm&teilerg=ch

These guys are a custom car club - they will know how to get modifications approved

http://www.hoopers.ch/cms/

The Cheaters Geneva

Swiss Street Rod Club

Application for Club Membership (PDF)

For further information

Bieli Alex (President)
Zurich Strasse 32
5634 Merenschwand
Telephone +41 (0) 56 631 27 41
Mobile +41 (0) 78 637 39 44 [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your replies... it seems that it will be very hard to get such a certificate. It's stupid, but I only would need a "two sentence" letter with this confirmation. If I don't get this I have to rebuild my brakes back to drum brakes which is for sure a step back in terms of safety...

Honestly, I'm thinking of getting somewhere "Logo-paper" from Ford USA and write these words by my own... the inspector would never notice that. Has anybody a letter from Ford at home you could e-mail me? :redface:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Fraud vs. Leon's suggestion of a proper way that should work. Hmm. I'd have to suggest the latter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts