Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to repair a broken center grille on a 69 cougar before......I dont have the money to have a professional fix it right now and would like to put it back together till I can get it fixed properly or get a new one.....Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Tad.:(

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Yes

I had a welding buddy do it but keep in mind he is a master welder and works primarilly in aluminum alloy. it is tricky and you need the proper rod it is a low temp deal. i can give you his adress if your interested and see how much he will charge you to do it. he has done two for me and both are holding quite well. if your just interested in bonding its cheaper and you can shape it with a dremel rather easily. But it is definatly not something you want to take down to the local welder to do or you'll end up with a puddle of molten slag. you can email him at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
How bad is it? Mine had a couple of bars that were broken on one end. They vibrated just above an idle and made the strangest burring noise :p: . I used JB Weld to repair them. Clamped them in place until they set up, then filed off the excess and repainted. It's still holding, so far so good.....

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JB weld

I tryied the JB weld but after painting it didnt hold when i tried to install the grille. Actually I think it's just in too bad of shape.....the center is broke in 4 peices. I will just have to get another one......thanks for the help though.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
not so

Keith repaired both of mine and they were in 3 and 4 pieces with center parts missing he fabricated new ones. he does great work and wont cost you much i think probably 50 bucks labor and materials. but you can still find them on ebay starting at around eighty so choice is yours but soon there wont be any more the way people are stripping our beloved cats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts