Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just became an owner of a 1967 Mercury Cougar GT. 390 4V and 4 speed. I've included a picture of it.

This is my first post on these fine forums.

My question for you all is about that center dash speaker in the 67 Cougars. What size is it? And how hard is it to get to? I want to leave this car as stock as I can with the AM radio and single speaker, but the speaker is blown so the AM sounds horrible.

Thanks all.

Heather

See my baby here:

http://www.whitepineclub.com/members/kd7hcg/cougar.html

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Welcome Heather!

Nice car you have there. The speaker is tough to get to. On my 68 without a console I still had to take out the passenger side dash panel. I've never removed the dash pad, but that might be an avenue to explore. I'm not sure on the size but my best guess is a 4X6. Once it's out, an audio shop can match it up. I know you want to stay original. But, I made a new bracket using the old speaker as a template and replaced it with 2 round speakers that are about 2 &1/2 inches big. It looks like what some of these aftermarket companies are selling. Good Luck with the car.

Mark

·
Registered
269 Posts
Beautiful car Heather!!!

The speaker is not too terrible to get to probably about 15-20 minutes of work. I have disassembled the dashboard on several occasions (windshield wiper motor, various wiring fixes, clock etc) and its not technically difficult just umpteen million screws. A little patience and good lighting and its very do-able.

Are you in Boise?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive the speaker in the dash is 4x10. They sell dual 4" speakers at Mustangs Plus that will fit in that spot and sound better than a 4 x 10.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
What color is your Cougar? I really like it! Looks Great!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Great looking car Heather.

Hey, you might want to think about finding a stock AM/FM for that cat. Some Cougars came with an optional stereo speakers in the kick panels and that makes listening to some tunes much nicer. All you have to do is find some tan kick panels that have the stock speaker breather holes in them and the speaker cups and you are as stock as it gets with a better sounding stereo. Very Very easy to install. My 2 cents.

PS... Long live 4 speed Cougars.

Zoli

·
11,000 Posts
Heather,

Changing the speaker is really pretty easy. You do not have to remove the dash pad. Just remove the console radio pad and the radio. The speaker has four nuts that retain it to the structure below the dash pad. I bought the replacement for mine from Mustangs unlimited but any Mustang or Cougar vendor has them for about $20.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi Heather,

Based on your pictures, one of the nicest '67s I've seen. Good choice. You can always sell the original radio with the car, so I recommend upgrading your tunes as long as you're going to the trouble to replace the speaker. Unless you're only into talk radio, AM sort of limits you. I'm replacing the lone dash speaker in my '70 dash with dual 3 1/4" speakers. The Auto Krafters part number is MS67-73 ($33.95), made by Ken Harrison, Inc.. Of course, having a left and right side speaker in the middle of the dash doesn't give much of a stereo effect, even if you had stereo... If you upgrade, the kick panel speakers are a good idea.

Steve C.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your help. Yes, I am in Boise. The color of the car is Inverness Green. I think I will stay with just a stock replacement speaker for now, and then later go all out and find an AM FM stock radio and put speakers in the kick panels. My panels have the breather holes for the speakers, but no speakers. I have also thought about installing speakers in the kick panels and on the back dash, and then powering them with a little CD walkman or MP3 player.

This car has a history with the CCOA, it won the 2000 eastern nationals before we recieved it. We have the plaque for it also. You can catch glimpses of it here:

http://www.mercurycougars.com/ccoa00.htm

Heather

·
Registered
269 Posts
I considered going the kickpanel route but the metal panels underneath the kickpanels are solid. I can see a template pattern in the steel for a cutout but that doesnt help :( Anybody else have this issue or is the frame open underneath the kickpanels?

I ended up putting two Sony Xplod 5"x7" 3 way in the rear shelf and a 2 10 inch sub box in the trunk braced up against the backseat springs facing in. The rear shelf speakers work very well with the angle of the back window throwing the sound into the front and the bass behind the rear seat provides a nice overall tone and keeps any passengers in the backseat awake.

I still have the factory AM but shelved it in favor of a Blaupunkt 4 channel 250W AM/FM CD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
purchased car

My grandmother originally purchased the car about 2 years ago from a George G. in Waterloo, Il. If anyone has any information about this history of this car, I would really appreciate it.

Heather

·
Registered
215 Posts
the car has had 4-5 ownes was in wis untill your grandfather
bought it.
the guy i know, had it for 5-6 years and sold it at ill.show

i tryed to buy it before, about 6 years ago, very nice car.
know the dealer that sold it new.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
augusta green is one of my favorite colours. nice cat kenwood makes a dual speker which is great it is mostly for verts but will work good as standard replacement. any of the mustang vendors sell replacements though if your wanting stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts