Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whassup board?. I'm a new Cougar owner and have acquired a 69' XR-7, 351-FMX, W/blue ext. White vinyl top, White/Blue interior W/white leather. Has all the emblems and the body and chrome are straight as an arrow. The interior on the other hand is kind of tired and needs some work. I am in need of a new or NOS console, both halves. I guess my question is if it is possible to have it repaired, it has some small cracks and is totally cracked out around the screw holes. Can anyone help?. Also, I have bid on what someone said is a disk brake conversion, the donor is a 75 Granada, after I think about it awhile I'm not quite sure it will fit, any thoughts?.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
console and discs

Tom Welcome aboard the Cougar express Your problems are easy First the Granada is a direct swap in if you use the outer tierod ends from donor to a 69 or in 70 use the originals.Do you have drums or discs now.I have a blue console with some breakaway around the screw holes too so I can sell you the top 1/2 that is good still for $50 plus shipping.Chris Brost is the console dude from Washington state who repairs and sells also.I have many XR7 parts and services including the restoration of the XR7 pillar badges. What else do you need ?:cool:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Disc brake conversion

I am also doing a disc brake conversion, but not to my Cougars. Both of them already have discs. I am doing my conversion to my 66 Comet Caliente, both for the braking upgrade and safety as well since I am converting a single resivoir master cylinder to the more modern (and thus safer) dual braking system. If you have ever had a line pop on a single resivoir car you'd know what I mean!

In addition to just the spindles, calipers and so forth from the Granada, make sure you also use the proportioning valve from the disc brake donor car as well. Din't forget the brake hose brackets, and any other miscellaneous hardware!

Good luck!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
discs

There is some discrepancy about the proportioning valve You will not find one on a car built after 1969.1969 was the last year after that the proportioning occurs in the master cylinder.So I suggest if working on a 66/7Caliente to use the Fairlane prop valve and master cylinder from 1967..I can not comment on the viability of using the Granada master as I have not done that trick yet.Many confuse a proportioning valve with the pressure differential switch that triggers the light on the dash Best of luck Ray;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Thanks for all the info! this is a great venue for information and brainstorming!. This is my first Cougar but I'm really starting to feel like I should have bought one years ago, your all great people and have been really helpfull. Again, thanks for all the help!

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts