Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday that when I have my 67 in "Drive" the light under the ashtray in the center console is on. It goes off when it's in neutral or park. Is this normal? I can't imagine it being right but it doesn't make sense to me how it can only happen in that gear.

Ben

·
Registered
980 Posts
Kind of like the military.."the smoking lamp is out while fueling in park" sorry don't mean to be a wiseguy...perhaps the ground wire for the light is an issue under the ashtray and is somehow getting caught in the shifter when you move it???

·
Registered
389 Posts
or is the wiring somehow fubar'd and connected to a ground or otherwise on the neutral saftey switch? will it start in gear? just a thought...

·
Registered
152 Posts
A lot of times the wire is wrapped around the wrong side of the shifter under the console. It may be coming loose or being stretched along a sharp ridge where the insulation is gone and it goes metal to metal on the two steel post sticking up from the floor. Only way to resolve this is to remove the console...which is not fun but will give answers. If that light doesn't bother you that much, you may consider letting it be the way it is if you're worried about hurting the console during removal. It can be tricky and they are not easily replaceable. Good luck bro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts