Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent all day yesterday doing some rough body work banging out all the major stuff. Next weekend were going to be really getting down to it. Both my doors were caved in. The previous owner was going blind and parked in a parking garage in Hollywood (where the car was purchased by the way) and scraped against the beems and poles every day. Living with new roommates now that are pretty good at body work and work on their own cars also. Now I have some real motivation and someone who can show me the ropes. Heres some pictures of the passenger side and how its coming along. I thought for sure I'd have to replace the passenger door. The drivers side was not nearly as bad but now the drivers side is the worst side but I didnt take pictures of that side yet.. I am very stoked. Been staring at these caved in doors for 6 years now!!!!
Also will be getting all that surface rust off this weekend and about a month from now taking a trip up to my grandpas house to use his shop and paint booth and getting a real layer of primer on there! I feel like it's finally coming together. The same way I felt the first time I started her up with the fresh rebuilt motor and drove it down the road the first time.
34540_135463666485426_100000653811198_232648_4996706_n.jpg IMG_0623.jpg IMG_2309.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's crazy to me the way you can see the dent coming back out as you hit with a hammer. Some minor dents came out with just a 2x4 and one swing of a hammer and it's almost completly gone. All these dents I thought would be some major major work and it really isn't as long as you have someone who knows what their doing, a little patience and a case of beer haha.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Whats nice about our cars is the there is no center support beam thru the middle like the newer cars have and we can take care of the skin better.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
218 Posts
not to dent your spirits (no pun intended) but just when you think a dent is gone you will see it when fresh paint or primer is sprayed on. What color are you painting your car anyways?....keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Awesome !

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not to dent your spirits (no pun intended) but just when you think a dent is gone you will see it when fresh paint or primer is sprayed on. What color are you painting your car anyways?....keep up the good work
oh ya I understand that. But for now I'm happy that the doors are actually taking shape again. Going to do some more hammering and such this weekend.
The car will be painted a dark green. Not sure what shade yet but I'd like it to be almost so dark it looks black until the sun hits it.
Possibly Black hood along with the grille center piece. A black hood scoop is also a possiblity.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
There's a green like that on the (sorry) 2010-11 Camry........

Lots of flake, it really pops in the sun.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a green like that on the (sorry) 2010-11 Camry........

Lots of flake, it really pops in the sun.
will have to check that out. I know I hate to say this but I've seen some greens on chevys that look pretty close. but no cigar thankfully haha. My grandpa has a bookshelf full of just paint chip books in his shop. Just gonna flip through them until I find the right color.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
what about this:

Factory color even...

This pic was taken in the early morning sun of a participant when registering in one of our local car shows some 20+ years ago... Looks like it was a '67 GT in Dark Inverness Green.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about this:

Factory color even...

This pic was taken in the early morning sun of a participant when registering in one of our local car shows some 20+ years ago... Looks like it was a '67 GT in Dark Inverness Green.
Thats pretty darn close. I'd have to see that paint chip in the sun. but thats exactly what i mean. the way the bottom of the car where the sun isnt hitting looks almost black. That with a black hood and possible black hood scoop is where I'm going with the car. Saving this picture along with other similar ones in my folder labeled "paint ideas" lol
thanks for posting that

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you go with the inverness green, you'll be going with an original '67 color. Your going dark so you better do a lot of block sanding and make sure it's straight. Every wave will show.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Large caved in dents are so much better than rust. Mine has only a couple of door dings in her sheet metal...the hood and trunk lid are perfectly straight..except the lips have rusted dammit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you go with the inverness green, you'll be going with an original '67 color. Your going dark so you better do a lot of block sanding and make sure it's straight. Every wave will show.

yeah i'm painting my car black and let's just say i've had to re-do a couple areas when i thought they were perfect. sometimes i think a white car sounds pretty good.......

·
Registered
389 Posts
regarding the dark colors...my first body work attempt was on a white truck...and the shiny glossy white paint still showed flaws but heck i was 16 so it wasnt that bad.

my second was a dodge neon I built for my bro in law and it came out pretty good....few areas that should have had some more work but we painted it metallic BWM titanium silver and talk about hiding flaws...silver is awesome for hiding scratches, swirls, and body waves.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bulk of drivers side is out. Also took the rust off the hood. Gettin things done:)
IMG_2343.jpg IMG_2350.jpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
can't wait til i get to this stage.... my neighbor's body shop just got a new media blasting booth so he already invited me over on a sunday to learn how to media blast....so i'll be one of these days stripping the rest of the trim and trailering it over and media blasting just for the cost of materials...sounds like a deal to me...just dread how much rust im gonna have. wish i just had caved in doors haha.

oh and i dig those rims on yours....nice and classy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
can't wait til i get to this stage.... my neighbor's body shop just got a new media blasting booth so he already invited me over on a sunday to learn how to media blast....so i'll be one of these days stripping the rest of the trim and trailering it over and media blasting just for the cost of materials...sounds like a deal to me...just dread how much rust im gonna have. wish i just had caved in doors haha.

oh and i dig those rims on yours....nice and classy.

Thanks man. I love these wheels I'm so glad the first set of wheels I got didn't fit. Sent them back and paid a little more for these instead. Best choice I've made for the car.
And yeah I'm from california and the car used to live just over 100 miles from me in Hollywood so it's stayed nice and dry it's whole life. Minor rust in the trunk on one of the quarter panels but just a little grinding and rust destroyer and I will have nothing to worry about. I kinda neglected her and let her sit for a few years without fully protecting the metal. Just been sitting in a thin coat of sealer and gathers some surface rust. but now I'm really at it again and it all came off the hood easily. If you want to start learning body work best thing to do is have friends who do body work on their cars and watch them. They've helped me a grip so far. Still a long ways to go but what a huge difference from caved in doors. I'm learning body work and getting it done at the same time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts