Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago we got a call, my wife's stepson died when a car he was working on rolled on him. I am not sure of the specifics, he was living in Arizona and I live in Michigan. Jason was 32. His fiancee and three year daughter found him. He has worked on cars all his life and knew what he was doing. Please be careful when working under cars. I don't know if this car was on a jack, jack stands or ramps. Always chalk the tires even the ones on the ramps and never trust a jack to work under a car. Even on jack stands having a second fail safe that the car will fall on instead of you is a good idea. I know we all take short cuts once in a while and most of us get away with it most of the time. It isn't worth it though and the extra time it takes to stabilize a car right may save your loved ones from finding you some day.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss, Harvey. What a horrible thing for a 3 year old to experience. Condolences to your family.
I have seen two close calls, one where the jackstands/car was on dirt. Tom got out from under it needing a tool and the jack stand collapsed in the soft soil bringing the car down to the ground. If he didn't need another tool the car would have pinned him.
I always leave the floor jack in place after I have properly secured the vehicle with jack stands.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Thanks for the word of caution Harvey and sorry for your familys loss. As Jeff says, I too use a secondary form of support in case one fails. Too often we are alone under the car and not able to call for help especially with a car on your chest.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sorry to hear about it Harvey. Yeah, it's easy to get trusting/complacent with using the same tools and techniques you have used for years. Second guessing yourself is a healthy habit to maintain.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Definitly a wake up call for me. I was just under mine installing a new starter. My buddy was there with me but I only had it up on a jack. Usually I secure it with stands and give the car a nice jiggle to make sure it's safe and then I leave the jack also under it and stoppers under both back tires.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, sorry for your family loss. My condolences :(. John

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Condolences given.

I got smooshed into the pavement once myself. Thankfully, I was much thinner then.

Car ( my buddy's dad's 72 LTD) was backed onto a set of ramps. Car rolled off ramps after I took rear u-joint loose from rear end. My first indication that all was not well was the rear end yoke starting to turn... I thought WTF? Then I realized that the only way it could be turning was if the car was moving. I sucked concrete and then, as Steve martin put it so well "Let's get small!". The car rolled forward off the ramps and the trunk floor swatted me into the pavement.

That was definitely a wake-up call. THINK!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts