Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to open a can of worms here, but did the cars come from the factory with this decal on the fan shroud or not. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Not... Look at all the factory photos, training material, etc. The decal came later after some lawsuits over the flex fans coming apart.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Here we go again.......

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good enough for me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
and a whole lot more posts, LOL I was really confused for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
C.W.

I think you should put about 3 or 4 of them across the top of the fan shroud. That should get the "Boss" boys talking. See you at Carlisle.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
So if you ordered a factory replacement from the dealer back in the 80's and it came with a sticker is your car wrong? Should the sticker be removed?
To me both are correct. It's kind of like the dude with the wheel well trim on the 70 Eliminator. They did not come with trim but he insists that it is correct since the dealer put them on. :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To get away from the decal thing, IMHO the way it came from the factory is the only way it should be, all dealer installed items are just accessories. I have seen Eliminators with so called wood grained dashes, 6000 RPM tachs and so on, but it is not factory.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Dang - last time we had this discussion we actually got some interesting action
Interesting is one word. Lynch mob would be two others.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
... all dealer installed items are just accessories...
So if you had to write the rules for a Concours judging competition...do you take points off for "correct" accessories? Which ones count, which ones don't? Are repair parts that are Ford correct or incorrect?

Just asking -- personally I prefer personal taste over Concours but have been involved with this kind of discussion at judging competitions in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Concours judging must reflect what should have been done at the factory. Mistakes can't be accommodated in judging nor can dealer installed items.

If the car has a buck tag and doesn't list a tilt wheel yet one exists in the car, that would be a point deduction. If there is no documentation or tag on the car to reflect how the car was originally equipped and it has factory available options correctly installed, there would be no deduction for any of them.

AC on a 427 GTE would be an example of a point deduction or bucket seats in a car with a 65C body code.

A rear window defogger or styled steel wheels would be examples of options that would not receive a point deduction unless there was a window sticker or Marti report displayed that didn't reflect those options as original. Basically, any option not reflected on the buck tag or door data tag would not be deducted unless there was documentation displayed to the contrary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts