Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 69 351 standard, car was running a little hot last year, so last year changed the radiator to a 3 row, added a fan shrowd, have a cluch fan. Car has been fine since. Now when the car is moving between 30 and 70 mph needle is at the 3/4 point....... normal for my car, but when I am in stop and go traffic, or at a light, the needle will slowly move into the orange, took thermostat out yesterday figuring it was bad, no help, antifreeze is full.......took the car to work today and needle was in orange by time I got to work ...... 15 miles. Was planing on attending carlisle this weekend, but dont want to drive 180 miles on the hopes i don't hit traffic.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Is it really running hot or is the gauge just saying so? Try using an infrared thermometer to verify the true temperature.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes had engine redone, probably has about 2000 miles tops since rebuild. edlebrock intake, aluminum heads, changed 2 brl to 4 brl carb, headers, dual exaust, slightly larger cam.......as per mechanic, cant tell you what size.....running FMX trans with high stall converter, and a shift kit, changed rear end gears to 3.7 posi.......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have an infra red thermometer, where is best place to check temp?..what part of engine from under hood , block, head cover, radiator? ...sorry if stupid question,......

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not stupid question...Check upper rad hose compared to lower hose to see if blockage (difference in temps)....When the car is warm not hot remove rad cap give it throttle and make sure fluid is pulled down that is how to tell in Water pump is working....Make sure you have proper mix of 60/40 water to antifreeze....fan turned the correct way....
timing set correct...not running lean on carb...these are all the things to check on hot running cars....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
laser temp says ......upper rad hose temp 185 lower rad hose 170...... at those temps my temp gage in the the car is just before the orange H, radiator flow with cap off is good. fan is turning correct, anyifreeze was just put in last year.....not sure if 60/40 or just put in pure anti freeze,,,,,would that make a difference. do have a stronger than usual odor of gas in the car.....had carb rebuilt this winter, could it be running to rich....car running great, no stalling, hesitating, or smoking...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
First DO NOT PUT STRAIGHT ANTIFREEZE IN....Notice anit FREEZE not anti hot!!!! 60 water 40 anti freeze....Hose readings are correct for everything correct

With those temps your gauge is off did you change the temp sending unit? I bet you did and you used the wrong one, use the one without gauges, and I bet all of a sudden temps are good again (BTW this is from personal experience)....
buy an aftermarket
If you really are not confinced buy an aftermarket temp gauge and hook it up even just under the hood if you want this way you will know the exact temp...may guess is 190-195 which is typical on a rebuild for a thousand miles or so....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
X2 I think you should just check the rad fluid (with cheapie floating ball tester), sounds like your OK, just need to double check guage functions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts