Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I get a new radiator and water pump, I will be starting the cougar for the first time in about 6-7mo.
She has been sitting without a radiator and I did not drain the gas and run it dry. (hey, I didnt know it would take me this long) .

Besides the obvious (new plugs, oil, coolant) what do I need to do?

1. Should I squirt some oil through each spark plug hole?
2. What about the carb, is it screwed from sitting that long with old gas in it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey CrazyCat, 6 months doesn't sound like a long time....it's the length of our winter up here:rolleyes: ...and the hibernation period for my 67. :mad: I wouldn't worry too much about it!! Just my 0.32 cdn cents worth!!:)

·
Registered
669 Posts
You should be fine. It may tick a little for a few seconds at first till the lifters charge up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
sitting for 6 mo

Yes you should be ok if you feel you need to do somthing unhook coil wire and turn over engine for about 45 seconds that should bring oil to top of motor without doing damage.when you put fresh gas in start motor let it run at low rpm don't rev up motor let it run at low rpm till normal temp.When you drive for the first time take it slow for about an hour check all fulids and for leaks than run it like you allways do :D steelcat 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys. I'll crank her over a few times to get the oil flowing.
The reason I was concerned about the gas is I know my lawnmower is a biznitch to start with old fuel. :p:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Rebuild the top end and have the rods and pistons magnafluxed shot peened and honed. Also use 50 weight Castrol no make it Pennzoil ... And replace them with ball bearings.... It's All ball bearings these days

Just Kidding

·
Registered
889 Posts
gas filter

I put a gas filter be for the carb.But mine was sleeping 12 years.I also sop vacced the intake incase the critters were busy Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts