Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
OK Cougar Guy
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the thread and pitch size of the castle nut that holds the power steering piston to the cross link? This has been a tough find here in the sooner state. I''ll have to try to order one from a nut and bolt vendor.:confused:
Regards,

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you don't have a thread gauge, you can take the nut off, take it with you to ACE HARDWARE and normally they have a nice selection of nuts in the metal cabinets. You can go thru the BOLT section first, thread it into your nut and when you find the correct thread then you will know what nut is needed. It could very well be metric.

This sounds simple and it is, and I am not trying to insult you.

Thread gauges aren't expensive, HARBOR FREIGHT, and maybe your hardware store or auto parts store has them for sale too.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
OK Cougar Guy
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dale,
Thanks for the reply. I should have added a bit more detail. I stated poorly. I do have a castle-nut that I can gauge. The problem is that it is a full height castle nut.I can't find the half height that will allow me to put a Cotter pin in it. I fear when I drive it it could come off and...hate to think..whoosh in the ditch. I sent an e-mail to WCCC but never got a reply.
Thanks. GG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts