Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

:1zhelp: Can anyone recommend a good source to identify casting numbers on a 429 or 460 Block and it's components? I have 2 motors that I need to identify. :1zhelp:

When I bought my last Coug two motors came with it. At one point the PO told me that one was a 460 and the other was a 429, and that the 460 was pulled from a '77 Lincoln and was running when pulled, while the condition of the 429 was unknown. When I picked up the motors the PO told me that there was a mistake and that both motors were 460's. I was disappointed but wasn't really concerned. Upon inspection of the motors when I got them home it turns out that the "running" 460 was seized and the one that was "unknown" turns freely. Now I'm confused? The one that was supposed to work was seized and the one that needed work seems fine so...

I tore down the 460 out of the '77 Lincoln this past weekend. Talk about scary! There were 2 Pistons that were rusted solid to the cylinder walls and the crank has 2 burn marks on it. :angryfi: The Cam looks like my dogs favorite chew toy, need I go on? :angryfi: Apparently the engine had a blown gasket and water entered the block and because the motor sat for so long rust appeared. The good thing is that the block and crank appear to be salvageable.

The other motor is still unknown and will be torn down this upcoming weekend.

I don't believe the PO intended to mislead me, I think this is just an unfortunate situation. I just want to find out exactly what I have so that I know what I am working with. Who knows, I may luck out and have a good 429 in my garage!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
james, I have a V8 book that gives casting numbers, tried to scan it but my scanner seems to have lost itself, guess I will have to reload it, there is one site I found that offers all sorts of info on casting numbers, the AACNCCLUB, unfortunately I can't give you a link cos' its saved on my pc under a file name, otherwise post the casting numbers and I am sure we will come up with some answer for you.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Try this link; it may help.

http://www.aacncclub.com/[url] Marty

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"If you're reading this, it means this page is no more.
It's probably not your fault.
Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL."

I tried the link you have posted Marty, it's not working at this time...

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
bones;

i just edited the url...they moved! SORRY!
Marty

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Looking thru this book, where it gives you cylinder head casting no's, and cylinder block casting numbes, the 429/460 are in the same block, no much help, the only different ones were the crankshaft casting no's:- Basic No. 6303
429 68-78 4U or 4UA
460 68-78 2Y : 2YA : 2YAB : 2YABC
79 - 3Y

Dunno if that helps at all.
Dayle

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoa! Look at all the numbers, I'm gonna get sidetracked at that site Marty! Thanks for the URL.

So everything is the same for a 429 and a 460 except for the crank Dayle? So I want to find a 4U or 4UA right?

So far what I've found is that the first character is gonna either be a "C" or a "D", "C" being from the 60's and "D" being from the 70's. Then the second character will be the casting year. I've read a lot of things about "DOVE" parts? Is this in reference to the 70's components? I am on the right track or am I way off here?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
D = 70's
0 = 1970
V = Lincoln 61 and up
E = Engine component or part or whatever you want to call it.

Engine Codes
K = 429-2V
N = 429-4V
P = 429 Police
C,J = 429CJ [J indicates Ram Air]
CV,CY = 429SCJ [CV indicates drag option]
A = 460
C = 460 Police 73-78

Hope that sheds a bit more light.
Dayle

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
James
I went thru all this when I was trying to find out what engine the ranchero had, eventually I took off the tappet covers and looked in between the rockers, it was a 302.Much easier to just look for the number, however some 429's were stamped as 460's but were'nt actually 460's??? 429 and 460 cylinder head casting numbers are on the ledge about the exhaust ports..
460 pistons are dished to achieve desired compression.
429/460 cylinder block casting numbers are under the right rear cylinder bank, the number is vertical.
Thats about all I can gleam out of this book by skim reading, if you need more help give me a shout, am logging off now cos its almost 1am, but will be back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Bowl, why the excitement over the 429 over the 460? If my chiltons manual is correct the advantage of the 429 is only on very early ones becuse of the close chamber heads and the 11.5-1 comp and non retarted camshafts!! Thats why there 360 hp!!

So if you end up with a later 429 its really not anybetter than the 460. I myself plan on picking up a 78 460 with 8-1 comp that the book says is a whopping 202 rw hp. But we know with a piston change to flat tops, a good cam degreed properly and maybe some early DOVE heads (or some Eldebrock Aluminums when funds permit) you have a very stout motor. The one I'm picking up is an original 50k mile motor and I just plan on putting a set of flat tops in it with a new set of rings, brgs if it needs them and maybe milling and porting the stock heads some along with a decent hyd cam and just running it for a while and down the road when the car is finished otherwise maybe slapping a set of eldelbrocks on it when funds are built up again.

Now I dont claim to be a 460 expert as I never really messed with them but I'm going to be running one and have been researching them somewhat and this is the basics I have come up with so far.mm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts