Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering converting my 69 2v car to a 4v, I have a stock 4v manifold & a 4100 newly rebuilt carb. Would an Edelbrock performer rpm & Holley or Edelbrock carb be better? Everything else will be stock.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Well I would go for the performer just for the weight savings. The carb is personal choice, some will swear by Holley, some swear at them. I have had both and had problems with both. So carb is up to you, but the less weight over the front wheels the better...

Bruce

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
for the stock engine the regular Performer is the better cjoice. the RPM will lose more of the bottom end power and will make it less enjoyable at teh street. i mean, hell, you really dont go over 3 or 4K that much during regular driving. definatly an aluminum one is the way to go. pick up the stock iron one and youll agree lol. personally i prefer a Holley, but they do seem to lose tune after a while. havent had any leakage though like some people seem to have with them. i never got comfy with an Edelbrock/Carter carb so i guess thats preference again

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If money isn't an object go Edlebrock Performer RPM and a Demon (street carb). I always swore by Holley, I've had Edlebrock carbs, had carters, I bought my first new Demon for on my Black 88 GT with a 460 in it(see photo gallery, have pics of car and engine/carb) this summer and I LOVE IT. Starts, idles, works GREAT. Looks awesome(mean) too.
Just my $0.02
Scott
PS Keep your factory stuff though, even though its 2v they dont make em anymore and someday they'll be worth a mint. Try to find ANYTHING stock for a Model T and years ago you couldn't junk em fast enough...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eh, everything I've read says the Performer RPM is better in every way on a carbed Ford SB.

From what I've heard, the Performer is basically an aluminum version of the stock intake manifold.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well, I went thorugh the same dilema with my 68. I eventually went with a cast iron manifold and a autolite 4100 venturi 1.08 for the 4bb carb. What a difference my car has been performance wise with this upgrade. Yes, the cast iron is much heavier but Ive haerd form different sources that they are one of the best mainfolds produced by ford. so, if you want expert advice I would contact www.ponycarburetors.com and ask them questions with respect to what you want to do. let me know how it goes and good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yes, the Edelbrock Performer is pretty much a stock manifold in aluminum. The aluminum is lighter and will run cooler than the stock cast iron. If you want to maintain good low end and over all streetability that is the manifold for you.
If you are looking to move the power/torque curv up, go with the RPM. It is designed to "kick in" at about 2500 RPM and also raises the carb about 1".

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the 4100 from Pony Carbs. They suggested the cast iron over aluminum and also the 4100 over the 4300 version. I have a Performer and Holley 600 on a 351C in another car and am not happy with the performance. This was the reason for the initial question. Lithi confirmed what I felt but I am open for all comments. Any more?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The 4100 is a better carb than the newer 4300 series, IMO.
I would bet that the 600 on that C is not enough. Is the rest of the engine stock? 2V or 4V heads? Headers? I went from 650DP to a 780 before my C started acting like I expected it to and it probably would have been happier with more. The Cs are a high rev moter, not as good as a W on low end and they like to breathe. The more carb the better.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
TheRktmn is right about clevelands vs. windsors. I've had both engines and had them both built up. My windsor worked the best with a 750 (at most, worked good on the street with a 650dp) and the cleveland actually ran the best with an 850! I have 3 302 engines right now that are stock all but a cam and intake. 1 Performer & Erson cam w 600 holley (OK) 1 RPM cam and intake with 650 holley (I like it the best) and 1 torker w crower cam (sounds tough runs ok but the RPM setup actually is better all around)... Goto Edlebrock.com and e-mail them with your wants and needs and they'll tell you. This is what they make Millions of dollars a year doing so I'd say they'd know best. They are the biggest an best manifold manufacturer in the world (Im sure someone will disagree but all they have to do is open their eyes to see that!) so they should know!!!

Scott

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 351C is a '73 CJ motor bored 30 over with most other close to stock parts. Thanks for the advice.

Jim

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
A 600cfm carb is just fine for a stock 351C or 390. Remember, a GT 390 came factory with a 600 vac sec Holley. BetaCat has a '66 GT390 Holley on its 73 351C-4V. I used an earlier cast iron square-bore intake. It has a mild (almost 351CJ-spec) Crane cam, flat top instead of dished pistons, and factory cast iron exhaust manifolds. I tried a 780 vac sec on this car, but it went slower!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i think either the holley or the edelbrock are equal in problems and i have holleys on two and edelbrocks on two. which do i prefer i think its just more astetics than anything else, i prefer the holley. A street car is so much diffrent then what most magazines out there put out what you should do to your car remember they are bought and paid for by the suppliers. but definatly the weight loss is good by going to the aluminum and the performer is the better flowing from test results, but once again this is in a car magazine that had edelbrock advertisement full page so take it for what it was worth. If your not happy with the holley then it may be jetted incorrectly for your application or altitude or you may be over carberated which is bad for performance and most people will do it. but while you have the top off why not spend a couple of more hours and remove the heads and get them worked as well just a thought seams a shame do do all that work and not do any head work. the gains there would be most benificial.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts