Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
68 302 j code
i was scraping off the gasket from the mounting flange of an original carter fuel pump.
i heard a "clink" sound.
Is / was there a small steel ball in the face of the mounting flange on the fuel pump that mounts to the timing chain cover? or am i just hearing my brain clinking around again with all that extra space?
thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
913 Posts
No ball, but there should be a spring in there between the fuel pump housing and arm.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong here...but isn't there a "rod" that rides on the fuel pump arm? Could that be the "Clink" that you heard...when it dropped free???

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:1poke:The air pressure in your head shoulda kept anything from rattling around in the free space LOL - I speak from experience there! Just make sure when you put it back in the arm is under the cam that drives it and not over it - easy to do depending on the position it's in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I am wrong here...but isn't there a "rod" that rides on the fuel pump arm? Could that be the "Clink" that you heard...when it dropped free???
Thanks for the replies, i do see the spring still in there against the arm itself, what rod are you talking about?
i see a spring, the arm, only rod im really seeing is the rod that the arm pivots on.
by the way, the arm/spring has a good amount of pressure when trying to move manually- pump worked fine when i removed it awhile ago,
thanks again!

·
Registered
913 Posts
There is no rod, GM uses a rod, Ford uses a cam bolted to the timing chain to work the arm on the fuel pump, and the arm goes under this cam when installing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts