Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I temporarily replaced my holley 650 with a friends CARTER AFB 650 (or whatever is closest to that)on my 302. It ran so much better, smoother and stronger when I first just put in on, but my friend messed with the two screws in the front, and now I can see by the smoke that the car is burning super rich and I dont know where they are supposed to be. Is clockwise richer or leaner?. It hesitates and lacks the power when I stomp on the gas. My timimng is set at 10BTC and it advances to 30 on the dot when I plug the vacuum advance into the port attached to the choke...is this right? What is the proper way to adjust this carb so it runs leaner, and also there are so many vacuum hookups on this carb, and I'm not sure where what goes. If someone could help me that would be great. i noticed that Dark asked this question about 4 months ago, and no one ever replied. There are 3 ports in the front of the carb. One big fat one in the middle, and one next to each idle mixture screw. What goes here? And then there is one on the bottom of the choke assembly and then 2 more on the passenger side. And then there is the port in the back of the carb, which I plugged with a .....1/4 inch plug. So my question is where does all of these go? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lean should be clockwise, if I'm remembering correctly.

The big port in the middle front of the carb is a PCV port. Its usually a line from a PCV valve. The port to the left is a timed vacuum source, and the one to the right is a full vacuum source.

The others on the sides of the carb I have no idea. The big one on the back of the carb is a manifold vacuum source, usually for power brakes or to a transmission modulator.

The Edelbrock carbs are almost mirror images of the Carter AFB. Here is the guide that comes with them:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_intro.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts