Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I looked into the engine bay of my '67 today, and it came to my attention that I've got a BIG problem...seems as if the driver's fender is splitting apart from the car! Ok, here's some more detail, cause I won't be able to put pictures up for a day or two...

From what I can see, on the driver's side, there is the side of the engine bay, and what looks like a stock support (not a monte carlo bar or export brace) welded against it. Seems like one or two of the welds up top have come undone, and the part of the engine bay that is unattached is pulling apart from that support. Because of this, the engine bay wall also has a crack or two in it, arount where those welds broke.

I'm kind of freaked out, but should I be scared to drive this car? Has anyone else had this problem? The '68 I had before this didn't have this problem as far as I could tell. And lastly, what can I do about this? I'm guessing I would have to get this welded somehow, if thats the case, does anyone know a welder around the Ventura/Los Angeles area that would be suitable for this kind of task? I'll getsome pics of this up in a day or two.

-- Caleb --

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
sounds like you got a bad shock tower.If you plan on keeping it there are a few remedies. 1 replace the shock towers(call don rush for a price on these) 2 keep it as a parts car n locate a better car. 3 cut the towers out and put in a mustang II indepandant front suspension this will eliminate the shock tower dilema and make plenty of room to stuff in a bigger engine.
hope some of this helps ya out
thanks
pat

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...sounds smart. Guess that's all my options, or can I do more? That Mustang II suspension sounds interesting, know anyone or place that I could pick that up from, and how much would that be? As of now, my finances are not the best (just your average starving college kid), so I'm wondering if it would be possible to weld a reinforcing plate on to the wheel side of the tower or something? I don't want to do anything to the car to make it unsafe to drive regularly. Is the above a common problem for the early model Cougars?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts