Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new moulded carpet for my convertible and am going to install it in the next few weeks and had one question. I read about leaving it open in the sun to soften it up a little and to use weight to help it take shape so I'm good with those parts. I also plan on putting in sound deadener under the carpet. My question is, is there an adhesive I'm supposed to use to hold the carpet in place or does it just get pressed in? I'm guessing there has to be something to hold it down but since I've never done carpeting before I have no clue. Any suggestions of a particular product would be a big help. Thanks!

Ben

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I've never glued it down. You might need to remove it someday. The seats, door sill plates and the seatbelt anchor points are enough that it doesn't move around.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That works for me. I've had to remove carpet at work that was glued down and it was brutal. Hopefully the weather here coorperates so I can get to it soon. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Don't know anything about convertables or 69's but the original carpet in my 68 wasn't glued to anything. cept the backing insulation.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
A trick of the trade is to actually spray it with warm water. I've never done this with a piece of molded vehicle carpet but it is the bomb when working with stiff cuts whilst installing in, say, a home.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am planning on ordering carpet for my 68 next week. I am going to buy a Dynamat knockoff off of Ebay to put under it rather than the stuff you can order with a carpet kit... should be better sound deadening for about the same $$

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have a good gameplan in place now. I'm going with after market deadener like Poohbair. I ordered the asphalt smelling stuff for the trunk and still put stick on deadener under that. I figured if one layer was good, two would be better. It just stinks though even after months of being in the trunk, so if the stuff other places sell to go under the carpet smells as bad, I can't imagine that smell inside the car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I did the carpet in my 69 XR7 vert when I put it together.

I just rolled it out in the car and let it sit overnight. It flattened out pretty well.

The only issue was that it WOULD NOT FIT as it was supposed to. I tried to get it into place several times. Started at the front and worked to the back. Started at the back and worked to the front. Started at the middle and worked outward. Still no luck.

I ended up sending it back and getting it replaced with another set. The 2nd set went in fine on the 1st try.

DO NOT cut any holes or do any trimming until you get it correctly in place.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
BTW, we are just finishing up a "How To" video on carpet installation. We installed the new "Massed Backed" carpet in a 1970 Coupe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, we are just finishing up a "How To" video on carpet installation. We installed the new "Massed Backed" carpet in a 1970 Coupe.
Don, do you know when the video will be up on the site? I'd definitely like to check it out before I get started.

Ben

·
Registered
452 Posts
Trick, I used a pencil type round solder gun to melt perfect round holes where the seat belt bolts and the seat bolts themsleves go thru.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I installed the mass backed carpet from Don and it fit perfectly with very little trimming. I didnt use any type of glue and it doesnt move at all.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I installed the mass backed carpet from Don and it fit perfectly with very little trimming. I didnt use any type of glue and it doesn't move at all.
Our vid will air Monday. I found the Mass backed to be a little harder to install then the regular carpet. Was the noise and heat restriction worth the extra effort and expense in your opinion?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Having never installed auto carpet before, I can't say this was any easier or harder to install, but it definitely quieted things down. The only part that gave me trouble was where it tucked up behind the kick panels. I just kept trimming little by little until the folds disappeared. The old carpet was not the original carpet and appeared to be the non-formed, universal type with foil/fiberglass type insulation underneath. I left that out when I put in the new mass backed carpet and the car still sounds quieter and feels more solid. The only part that gave me trouble was where it tucked up behind the kick panels. I just kept trimming little by little until the folds disappeared.

·
Registered
447 Posts
have done dozens of carpet kits
the best tip is to use 7-10 lb weights from a dumbell set
the more the better
I do spray glue down the carpets
spray down the back side of the carpets and the floor
wait @ 10 min for the spray glue to tack -up
lay the carpet down and lay as manny as you can find weights on the top side of the carpet
and come back the next day and repeat the same process for the front piece
it is a very good idea to pre-fit the carpet BEFORE you apply any glue
and mark with masking tape all the holes you will need to make to remount
seat and belts etc
good luck

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great tips. I'll give an update once it's done.

Ben

1 - 17 of 17 Posts