Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Carlite Windshields came with two layers of glass with a thin layer of Butacite sandwiched in between them for shatter resistance (safety). I have been searching, cleaning and observing many of these original windshields have delamination initiating at the outer edges of the glass, mainly near the bottom corners. What I find are some exceptionally scratch free windshields, but there is either bubbles/pockets of air forming along the edges between the glass and Butacite, or cloudy/milky appearance formed on the inner side of the glass at the Butacite interface, or both.

1) Does anyone have a process which either can restore/repair these damages areas? Or is it possible to delaminate the 2 layers of glass, clean them, then relaminate with Butacite? My guess is highly unlikely on the second process.

2) The Sun-X windshield is tinted green with about a 4-5" band of blue placed at the the very top for extra sun resistance. Some original windshields I have examined have this band, but it is more of a light brown color. Was this the original color or was it originally blue then sunbleached over time to this light brownish color?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I am pretty sure the strip was blue originally, and the heat changes the color. The one on my parts car was a dark brown, but it spent a lot of time in direct sunlight.

There is nothing you can do to get rid of the milky color on the edges. That is caused by exposure to moisture. The only thing to prevent it is to seal the edge of the glass with butyl when installing to seal out moisture. But, there may be a process out there that I am unaware of. I just know that if it gets milky, I trash it and cut a new piece.

I am unaware of any sort of process to delaminate and relaminate the glass. Doing so would destroy the glass, or would require lots of heat to make the laminate soften, but at the same rate the heat would make the glass weak, or warp, and would either break or cause it to change shapes when taken apart. Not to mention trying to actually get that stuff off the glass. It would be very expensive, if at all possible.

The bubbling on the other hand, may be fixable. It would be expensive if there are more than just a few spot that need to be fixed though. A tiny hole can be drilled in the glass, then vacuum applied, then they hook up a syringe with this clear epoxy stuff to the vacuum line. They inject the epoxy and the vacuum sucks it into the voids. Many auto glass shops can do this if they are equiped with the system. Safelite is one that I know of, but they may tell you they dont do the drilling part. May want to contact a local company and ask around.

All in all, the easiest thing to do would be to find an original or get a replacement and make a template and sand blast your own logo onto it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts