Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 Cougar drivers door glass exploded on me the other night...it had come unglued and rolled up too high and when I shut the door POW!
The shattered glass was Sun-X tint, while the others do not appear to be. It is an A/C car, And I've never noticed any difference in tint as compared to the rest of the car.
Also the glass that exploded was a replacement Carlite, with the later type script. Since it is an A/C car should it have Sun-X tint??

·
Registered
274 Posts
A/C cars are supposed to have sun-x glass although some, my 69 XR7 included, had factory A/C but came out of the factory without sun-x glass.

JAMES

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I just have to ask where the documentation is that A/C cars were supposed to have SUN-X?
A more correct statement may be that the vast majority of AC cars had Sun-X glass and the two options went "hand in hand", but that occasionally a car was ordered with AC but without the Sun-X glass option. No facts to cite, just what seems to be the case.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously the previous owner of my car had the window replaced with Sun-X, while the rest of the car is clear....bad thing is I never noticed until now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My left quarter window is the only sun-x window in the car, but since I have to reglue everything, and the vinyl top needs to come off, I'm going to install sun-x while I'm at it.

JAMES

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hoss/MagCats:

The only documentation I've ever seen is the factory literature/dealer album which recommends that cars equipped with AC also be equipped with tinted glass. And I agree with 1969XRVert, most AC cars have tinted glass, but not all. My Augusta Green '68 is one of those AC-equipped cars without tinted glass, and I have the Marti report to verify that.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My Cat came without air conditioning, but it has the tinted glass.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hoss/MagCats:

The only documentation I've ever seen is the factory literature/dealer album which recommends that cars equipped with AC also be equipped with tinted glass. And I agree with 1969XRVert, most AC cars have tinted glass, but not all. My Augusta Green '68 is one of those AC-equipped cars without tinted glass, and I have the Marti report to verify that.
This is what I was hoping for. Thank You. So, it was recommended that they go together, but not Required. I learn something new every day. Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Glad to help, MagCat. Sometimes that collection of literature comes in very handy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts