Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 cougar with a ford 302 4v motor. It has a after market hi rise intake ,an Edelbrock 1405 600cfm carburetor and a 1/2in phenolic spacer that came on the car when I got it.The car ran fine on Friday. Saturday the carb crapped out The carburetor is flooding the motor.When the fuel bowels are full they dump gas right in to the intake on the primary side, even when the motor is not running.The fuel pump is a stock mechanical one, I checked the floats and they are not sticking. Should I rebuild this one or switch this carb out for a stock autolite 4200/4300 or a holly carb? Are Edelbrock carburetors good ones or crappy ones. I just want to make some car shows this season.

Thanks Scott

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Edelbrock carbs are OK, you probably have some trash on the needle or seats. Do you have an inline filter between the fuel pump and carburetor? Shake the floats to see if gas has leaked inside.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Scott,
Old cars break and have problems. Carburetors develop issues from time to time. It's what they do. Don't be discouraged.
Art's advice above is right on. Edelbrock makes a great carburetor. Should be an easy fix from the sound of it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 should be an easy fix....when they sit around for awhile things get hung up sometimes. Gotta be the needles or floats most likely

1 - 4 of 4 Posts