Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holley LIST-3557: 1966 Comet & Fairlane GT, 390 engine.
is what is on my 351 C 4v. Then this is what i will rebuild.
Anyone know what cfm it is?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I believe that is a 780 CFM Holley with vacuum secondaries.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! 780 cfm. I figured it was 600cfm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Nope

That's a 600 vac secondary. All of those GT390 carbs are 600cfm. Only when you moved up to a 428CJ did you get a 735cfm.

By the way, that 600cfm carb you've got there is absolutely perfect for a 351C-4V with a few mods. That's the exact carb I have on BetaCat right now. BetaCat has a Crane 260 Econopower cam that's the closest thing I could find to the stock CJ cam at the time. I have also bumped up the compression to 9.7:1 by putting on a set of earlier closed chamber 4V heads. Even with those mods, the 600cfm carb is just fine! The car actually goes faster with the 600 than it did when I tried a 780.

Good luck and have fun!

Milo

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cj, that carb has a rear metering block on it. Wouldnt it have come with the non adj metering plate on it from Ford?? mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That's interesting, my book shows the 66 Fairlane GT & GTA 390-4V having a 4150 holley carb with secondary metering block and part number C6OF-M or -N.
It shows the "other" 66 Fairlane 390-4V's as having Autolite 4100 series with part numbers C6OF-D, -E, -H or -J.
:confused:
Go figure. That'll teach me to RTFM.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about switching carbs with the one on my 65 galaxie 500 which has a 390, the galaxie has a std universal holley i think.
another view of the 3557 holley..

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pic of the carb on the galaxie

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ford Holleys

Ford original equipment carbs back in the 60s (with that Ford part number on the air horn) came with rear metering blocks. There isn't a provision for idle mixture screws in the rear block like a double pumper carb, just the metering jets and passages in the block. I had a bunch of these GT 390 carbs, a 66, 68, and 69. I prefer them to the aftermarket metering plate type Holleys.

Ford Holleys are also the only Holleys that had the center pivot bowls and the transfer line on the passenger side. The inlet is on the drivers' side and the transfer tube is threaded into the bowls on the passenger side, not o-ringed from front to back on the drivers side like the aftermarket type 3160 600 carbs.

What's the Holley list number on the Galaxie carb?

You can also tell the 600 from the 735/750/780s by the size of the throttle plates. My one buddy rebuilds carbs for a sideline. He loved getting a hold of my spare Ford GT Holleys! They're big on the restoration market right now!

Bowl, You can still get the correct 600 baseplate and linkage that would have the automatic trans kickdown that you need.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i need to rebuild both of them, the 3557 sat for like 8 years i am guessing so i didnt want to try starting it with that on it so i swapped with the holley from the galaxie and it perculates out the secondary vent and leaks at all shafts so i will try a start-up some other time.
here is a pic of the list# on the other holley (leaky one)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts