Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C5AF EF carb with a tag on it that says D 5G8. I gather the second stamping is a date code (1965-July-8) and the C5AF means Galaxie or Full-Size Ford, but I cannot find the EF reference in any of my books. Does anyone know what that means? The E of the EF has an X stamped over it, both on the tag and carb base. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have a C5AF EF carb with a tag on it that says D 5G8. I gather the second stamping is a date code (1965-July-8) and the C5AF means Galaxie or Full-Size Ford, but I cannot find the EF reference in any of my books. Does anyone know what that means? The E of the EF has an X stamped over it, both on the tag and carb base. Any help is appreciated.
To me, it sounds like a version number. "Rev. F" (since the E is x'd out).

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The F after C5AF is an engineering level (not sure if thats the same as Mike's reply). Looking in my Ford High Perf. Engine Parts Interchange book, it lists that carb (C5AF-F) would be used on a 352-4V in 1965 with an automatic transmission. A C5AF-E carb would be used on a 1965 352/390 4V with a manual transmission. Also, the D before 5G8 is a change level (4th one in this case). John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts